Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 11:04 PM

Re: Bread making during crisis

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thank you Bakerman, I'm saving all these posts of yours

One final step before I'm finished writing the recipe. just taking a break for a little while.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 11:26 PM

FINAL STEPS: SHAPING OF DOUGH, FINAL RISE AND BAKING

Phew, I'll bet you thought I'd never finish.

Ok, lightly flour counter and dump dough on to flour.
Degas dough. Poke the dough with you fingers to pop any large bubbles.

Shape into a football (rugby ?) shape. Large oval shape.
Pull dough down and under until you have a nice very tight shape. Turn dough over and tightly pinch the seams together. Filp dough right side up. Put on a flat sheet pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled. this may take about 90 minutes.

about 30 minutes into final rise pre-heat oven to 400 F ( 205 C.)

When dough has almost fully risen, uncover it and let a "skin" form.

This next step is for somewhat experienced bakers. Just before putting fully risen loaf into the oven, slash the formed loaf (1 cm deep) with a new razor blade to make a big "X" on the dough. This helps the dough rise even higher in oven which is called "oven spring". Tip here. You want to move the razor VERY , VERY quickly almost like you are trying to catch a fly.

Heavily mist the loaf with water and get into oven.

Bake on center rack for aprox 30 minutes or until loaf is a nice golden brown.

Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for an hour. . The bread is still baking at this point.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2020, 11:29 PM

Thanks again Bakerman
bakerman
Mexico

17-03-2020, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Thanks again Bakerman
you're most welcome. I'm happy to do it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 01:25 AM

So am I
bakerman
Mexico

18-03-2020, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Shop out lf yeast and flour for making bread
Do you mean to say that the store is out of yeast and bread flour? You can use A.P flour. (AP=all-purpose flour)

A.P. flour has less gluten than Bread flour and your bread will not rise as high and be a tad dense but it can work. never , ever try to use cake flour for bread making.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 09:23 AM

I make bread all the time, a new batch of fresh yeast is arriving today it comes in a cold pack and I freeze it. It stays usable for months.

I won't use dried yeast I think it changes the flavour of the bread. I also use a 'starter' to make sourdough and that doesn't require any yeast just a bit of devotion to keep it alive. I don't have one at the moment but will start another soon.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2020, 09:38 AM

bakerman
You are so out of touch with shopping. They do not have anything in the shops to make bread with here in the UK.
bakerman
Mexico

18-03-2020, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
bakerman
You are so out of touch with shopping. They do not have anything in the shops to make bread with here in the UK.
Oh. How kind of you to let me know.

Doesn't everyone keep at least a minimal supply of flour and yeast on had at all times. I sure do.
bakerman
Mexico

18-03-2020, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I make bread all the time, a new batch of fresh yeast is arriving today it comes in a cold pack and I freeze it. It stays usable for months.

I won't use dried yeast I think it changes the flavour of the bread. I also use a 'starter' to make sourdough and that doesn't require any yeast just a bit of devotion to keep it alive. I don't have one at the moment but will start another soon.
Wow ! Good for you. not many people have the patience to make a starter.
PS: There is a famous bakery in San Francisco that has been in business since the days of the Gold Rush in 1849. Their starter is now 171 years old and is the foundation of their world famous Sour Dough Bread.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top