Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 07:42 AM

Surfermom vs. Hurricane Sally

Just a quick check in We were hit directly by hurricane Sally. 105 mph sustained winds for almost five hours in a very slow moving storm. We are all ok, and were well-prepared in advance of the storm. Plenty of work ahead, but we are fortunate with good neighbors and friends - everyone pitching in to help one another. Several weeks ahead with no electricity or water/sewage, but it is yet another adventure that makes life interesting. We are saddest about the loss of trees; everything else can be rebuilt. Nature is incredible!

Thought you might be interested in a couple of photos. I would post more, but I am swamped - literally .

(That man is my neighbor, waist high in water, trying to wade to his flooded truck.)
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 07:44 AM

Re: Surfermom vs. Hurricane Sally

oh my goodness SM, be safe, Keeping you in my prayers. That's just horrendous (hugs) xxxxx
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Just a quick check in We were hit directly by hurricane Sally. 105 mph sustained winds for almost five hours in a very slow moving storm. We are all ok, and were well-prepared in advance of the storm. Plenty of work ahead, but we are fortunate with good neighbors and friends - everyone pitching in to help one another. Several weeks ahead with no electricity or water/sewage, but it is yet another adventure that makes life interesting. We are saddest about the loss of trees; everything else can be rebuilt. Nature is incredible!

Thought you might be interested in a couple of photos. I would post more, but I am swamped - literally .

(That man is my neighbor, waist high in water, trying to wade to his flooded truck.)
Glad that you are safe Surfermom !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 07:46 AM

Wow - that looks dire, Surfermom. Thanks for letting us know you are OK.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 07:47 AM

Thanks, you all. It is quite the scene. I'll check in soon.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 07:54 AM

I hope you,your neighbours & all the animals remain safe, during the clear up.
I appreciate that loss of power will be a problem but, when you are able, please send a note to let us know how you are coping.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 08:03 AM

Take care, don't drive into flood waters.

One side of the country is on fire the other is underwater thank goodness you have Mr Trump to assure you that climate change isn't real.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 08:30 AM

Oh, Surfermom, you do go through it. You must live on permanent tenterhooks, never knowing what battering you are going to get next.

I am so pleased that you are ok xx
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 08:32 AM

So awful for you all . I'd live in permanent anxiety as I hate storms . So glad you and yours are safe . Nature can be so frightening
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Take care, don't drive into flood waters.
Good advice.

This is BBC article on the destruction. This has been a weird year not just for the weather.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54183485

John De Block, at the National Weather Service in Birmingham, Alabama, told the New York Times that Sally was drifting "at the speed of a child in a candy shop".

Sally's pace may be linked to climate change, according to experts. A 2018 study in Nature magazine found that the speed at which hurricanes and tropical storms move over an area had decreased by 10% between 1949 and 2016, a drop that was linked to an increase in total rainfall.

"Sally has a characteristic that isn't often seen, and that's a slow forward speed and that's going to exacerbate the flooding," NHC deputy director Ed Rappaport told the Associated Press.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top