Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2020, 03:52 PM

Re: Vitamin Supplements

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Happy Christmas by the way Lindy....
Thanks very much OGF - and to you and yours.
dav92g
New Member!
USA
dav92g is male 

12-02-2021, 01:22 PM

You need to be careful with vitamins, and before you start taking them, it is better to consult a doctor and take the necessary tests. It's easy to hurt yourself.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dav92g ->
You need to be careful with vitamins, and before you start taking them, it is better to consult a doctor and take the necessary tests. It's easy to hurt yourself.

Care to expland a little Dav?
How easy is it to hurt yourself and why?

- And welcome by the way.
dav92g
New Member!
USA
dav92g is male 

15-02-2021, 08:37 AM

There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you have consulted your doctor and he determined what vitamins you need. Otherwise, you could hurt yourself. It is better to get everything you need from food.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 09:41 AM

Living here in the north we take vitamin D3 every day while there is an R in the month. That is according to our governemtn guidelines.
We also take B12.

Both these also help with memory and to keep depression at bay.

I read a study that said almost 90% of people in care homes and residential care lacked both B12 and vitamin D3 which could account for much of their memory loss and confusion. ( non Alzhiemers patient) '

As for the rest, once I turned 50 I thought maybe a mutilvitamin for over 50s would be a good idea , but last year my GP looked at my blood work and asked me to stop taking the multivitamin because I was showing high levels of all the normal vitamins and minerals. He concluded that we live a healthy lifestyle and extras were not necessary.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Living here in the north we take vitamin D3 every day while there is an R in the month. That is according to our governemtn guidelines.
We also take B12.

Both these also help with memory and to keep depression at bay.

I read a study that said almost 90% of people in care homes and residential care lacked both B12 and vitamin D3 which could account for much of their memory loss and confusion. ( non Alzhiemers patient) '

As for the rest, once I turned 50 I thought maybe a mutilvitamin for over 50s would be a good idea , but last year my GP looked at my blood work and asked me to stop taking the multivitamin because I was showing high levels of all the normal vitamins and minerals. He concluded that we live a healthy lifestyle and extras were not necessary.
Vitamin B and B12 are recommended by the website I mentioned in post no. 25 as people who have alzheimer's are found to be deficient, so researchers wonder if that deficiency could contribute to alzheimers.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 11:10 AM

There are many common illnesses where people have been found to lack certain vitamins and minerals. In a perfect world we would eat a good variety of foods that would supply all of the vitamins and minerals necessary, unfortunately the world is not perfect, and as we get older our bodies are less able to extract the vitamins and minerals that it needs, and requires a helping hand. Also lifestyles determine our vitamin and mineral needs, with active elderly people needing larger quantities of the good stuff.

Here in the northern hemisphere our winters begin at the end of October until April. Six months of hardly any sun exposure due to avoiding going out, or being covered head to foot in warm clothing. I strongly believe that this is a major factor in the amount of deaths from Covid seen in the UK and parts of Europe. This lack of Vitamin D3 that is not seen in parts of the southern hemisphere with their fortnight of winter. It's no surprise to me that Covid and Flu circulate more in the winter months, and tend to recede in the summer.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 06:49 PM

It seems that the NHS recommend taking Vitamin D during the winter months. There's a lot of information about all vitamins on their comprehensive website, link below, including on Vitamin B12, enough of which is not always obtained from our diet, however good that may be:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitami...als/vitamin-d/
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 07:07 PM

Much has been said to promote VitD3 for the older generation but I read somewhere that VitK is needed for it’s absorbtion . So if people en masse arn’t taking the K vitamin too ,is it a fallacy that D is being swallowed by millions but really not helping ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Much has been said to promote VitD3 for the older generation but I read somewhere that VitK is needed for it’s absorbtion . So if people en masse arn’t taking the K vitamin too ,is it a fallacy that D is being swallowed by millions but really not helping ?
I think Vitamin D will still benefit to some degree because we may still be getting some Vit K in our diets. I understand you need calcium also for the assimilation.

[IMG]Vitamin K is found in:
green leafy vegetables – such as broccoli and spinach.
vegetable oils.
cereal grains.

MG]

I eat lots of vegetables especially Broccoli, Spinach and curly kale.
My chips are cooked in vegetable oil....

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top