Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 11:25 PM

Re: Your sporting story

I played cricket for Takapuna Grammar and the Auckland Secondary School's team and I came 2nd in the discus, 3rd in the high jump at 5ft 3in. We didn't have a bouncy castle to land in! Just sand so you couldn't land on your head. Our Phys Ed teacher said he had never seen a shot putter high jump before! The jumping style was then called 'the straddle' , before the Fosberry Flop era!

I came first and broke the school record in the shot put.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
I played cricket for Takapuna Grammar and the Auckland Secondary School's team and I came 2nd in the discus, 3rd in the high jump at 5ft 3in. We didn't have a bouncy castle to land in! Just sand so you couldn't land on your head. Our Phys Ed teacher said he had never seen a shot putter high jump before! The jumping style was then called 'the straddle' , before the Fosberry Flop era!

I came first and broke the school record in the shot put.
Nice Ciderman! Just look at that action shot
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2021, 11:46 PM

My sporting story:

<yawn>
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My sporting story:

<yawn>
Wakey, wakey Bruce
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 12:21 AM

At Junior School I scored third place in the egg and spoon race..certificate shows that...went on to being a sprinter and came third again, but this time in the whole of the county of Surrey..well chuffed...overall loved playing netball as a Chief Shooter....School teams but also joined the over 40's group and played serious stuff for a few years...
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 03:06 AM

I played AFL in school and i was never a star. I was described by my peers as a "useful utility player" Jack of all position, master of none. I did kick the winning goal in one interdisrict final though. I love cricket but i was only good at close in fielding...slips, gully, short leg and other short spots. Surfing was my main love and i came second in an under 16s competition in Perth. Thats it.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 04:59 AM

Glad you appreciate cricket Keezoy! It's my favourite sport of all time. To me it's like chess on grass!
This bloke isn't real but I wrote it for my school magazine back in 1957.

In Praise of Blenkinsop.

Here was a man who played bad cricket.
Bowled short wides, ne’er took a wicket.
Dropped slip catches, always a ‘duck’
Never an ‘eye’ so he trusted luck.

Now his playing days are gone,
Struck by a drive at Silly Mid On,
Caught it with his senseless head,
And fell upon the pitch- Quite dead!

Blenkinsop’s life had come to an end.
He left directions in care of a friend,
Long and involved , but the basis of which-
“To be buried at ‘Lords’ in the centre of pitch.
To be lowered by men, all of whom shall love cricket,
So that I can assist to grow grass on the wicket”
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 05:15 AM

Well, I'm not so sure about my natural athletic ability nor about being an allrounder. As a boy I tended not to be that athletic tbh. My mum noticed that and encouraged me and my twin brother to do some sport. Because she'd liked it as a girl she suggested swimming. So we joined that local club. After two years it turned out that we could reasonably swim the four strokes but didn't get better at a certain point. So there was a push and a pull to leave the training centre and start looking elsewhere. Since there was a tennis club near our home my mother again suggested joining that because she'd always wanted to play it herself. It was one of the best decisions in my life and an eye-opener in many respects. I played in different regional leagues and tournaments but never won one.
At the age of 15 I had realised that a good physical condition would be helpful but that was something that didn't seem to develop naturally. So I bought myself an expander (there were no health clubs back then in the late 60s, early 70s, were there?) and exercised daily and I also took up running. Within a year my PE teacher noticed improvements and so did I. I could walk on my hands and do a proper handstand and other things which prompted my PE teacher to invite me to a gym team but I declined and stuck to tennis.
Have been jogging ever since I was 15 (no more than 10km and mostly between 3 and 5km) but regularly as clockwork at least once or twice a week until today no matter what the circumstances were or where I was . As a retiree I do sports almost every day.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand

24-07-2021, 06:09 AM

I was very fast over the first 15 metres but after that I had to stand and fight! I got into gymnastics and even had a girlfriend who was into it,
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

24-07-2021, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
At Junior School I scored third place in the egg and spoon race..certificate shows that...went on to being a sprinter and came third again, but this time in the whole of the county of Surrey..well chuffed...overall loved playing netball as a Chief Shooter....School teams but also joined the over 40's group and played serious stuff for a few years...
I remember egg and spoon race Di. That made me smile.
In Netball, I played two positions. Main - Assist/help scorer and Centre was a backup position. I’m very short but I managed to waggle my way around the tall girls.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top