Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 08:12 AM

Re: Price of a wall?

Originally Posted by carol ->
Have you decided to go for something cheaper?
I live in a conservation area so we have no choice the material has to be Yorkshire stone and it's expensive...in the end we had it done but hubby did it with a pal who had experience. I think the stone cost about 2k but it's a 7ft high wall we were extending by about 2 metres.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2018, 10:01 AM

Don't forget the builder may have to dig down first to have a good foundation to build on.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I live in a conservation area so we have no choice the material has to be Yorkshire stone and it's expensive...in the end we had it done but hubby did it with a pal who had experience. I think the stone cost about 2k but it's a 7ft high wall we were extending by about 2 metres.
Got my figures wrong here hubby tells me original quote was 4K but doing it himself it was 1k and that included another small wall and some paving.....still a lot of money.

Did you get your quote Carol ?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
£4k Was this to be built using pea single, with each pebble being individually laid and pointed in?
I doubt it there is a building boom builders can and do ask anything they like .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire

25-09-2018, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I doubt it there is a building boom builders can and do ask anything they like .
We got more than one quote too and they all came in at around 4K.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 07:09 AM

There is a great variation in the cost of bricks, the bricks I've been using were £0.63p each from a local builders merchant, when they ran out of stock, I had to shop around, one supplier wanted £1.17p each, finally got some for £0.67p each
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Good point There's a line between doing something for well under the cost and pricing oneself out of the market.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Just asked Mr Missy, he says for a face brick wall its 50 bricks a metre and you need two end pillers and coping stones

Materials and labour should be less then a grand , that's 2 men , a day's work

Block and render would be cheaper

It's the bricks which is the biggest cost When we are building anything here we go and buy reclaimed bricks but then we know what we are after and sort through them for the best ones, plus we have the means to transport them

When he's doing small jobs like that he usually gives the customer a list of the materials he needs and let's them go buy so they know he's not ripping them off and just charges his and his labourers time which in London is eye watering but out here in the sticks isn't bad
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Just asked Mr Missy, he says for a face brick wall its 50 bricks a metre and you need two end pillers and coping stones

Materials and labour should be less then a grand , that's 2 men , a day's work

Block and render would be cheaper

It's the bricks which is the biggest cost When we are building anything here we go and buy reclaimed bricks but then we know what we are after and sort through them for the best ones, plus we have the means to transport them

When he's doing small jobs like that he usually gives the customer a list of the materials he needs and let's them go buy so they know he's not ripping them off and just charges his and his labourers time which in London is eye watering but out here in the sticks isn't bad
Sorry Missy but there are sixty bricks to a square metre single thickness (fifty nine and a quarter to be exact ) and forty eight to a square yard.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Sorry Missy but there are sixty bricks to a square metre single thickness and forty eight to a square yard.

Don't shoot the messenger

I'll tell him

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top