Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 08:07 PM

Issues connecting to the internet

Hoping someone can help with this. I have two computers - a Windows 8.1 - which I was told was falling apart

so I bought

Windows 10 - which had hard drive failure within 12 months, but not covered by warranty as someone (local computer shop) tried to open the case and caused a tiny crack in the case.

The Windows 10 has now been repaired with a solid state hard drive and I'm slowly moving things across to it.

Just lately my connection to the interest has been weak and I'm wondering if my router needs replacing - or rebooting.
This evening - I have four bars on the Windows 8 - 18.38 signal strength and 72 Mbps.
The Windows 10 computer will not connect. Windows Network Diagnostics says "The DNS server isn't responding".

I think this evening is the first time I haven't had any connection on that computer, but recently the connection on both computers has been very weak.

Also - My Alexa's connected at Christmas have had to change position and this evening Alexa has died!!
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 08:11 PM

Re: Issues connecting to the internet

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=DN...&client=safari
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 09:05 PM

Sounds like it's an issue with your router's wifi. My Alexa Echos drop out from time to time so the router has to be turned off then after 30secs or so, turned back on again.

There should be a reset button on the router somewhere, try pressing that and see what happens. If you have a cable to connect one of your PCs to the router, try that to see if you can get on the internet to check your connection directly.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Sounds like it's an issue with your router's wifi. My Alexa Echos drop out from time to time so the router has to be turned off then after 30secs or so, turned back on again.

There should be a reset button on the router somewhere, try pressing that and see what happens. If you have a cable to connect one of your PCs to the router, try that to see if you can get on the internet to check your connection directly.
Thanks Judd - I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

16-02-2019, 08:39 AM

Thanks Marmaduke - I tried that yesterday.......still no wifi.

I also rebooted my router - no change.

The Wifi light keeps flashing, which suggests it's downloading or sending data...........which I'm not.

Would the Alexa's I got for Christmas be making a difference?
...........and on that subject, the Alexa in my bedroom wakes me in the early morning with flashing lights - can I stop that?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 03:25 PM

Lindy, your OP suggested that one computer WAS working and that another wasn't.

Is this still the case? Is one of your PCs connected to the internet and working ok?

If so you can stop focusing on the router and start focusing on the PC that won't connect
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks Marmaduke - I tried that yesterday.......still no wifi.

I also rebooted my router - no change.

The Wifi light keeps flashing, which suggests it's downloading or sending data...........which I'm not.

Would the Alexa's I got for Christmas be making a difference?
...........and on that subject, the Alexa in my bedroom wakes me in the early morning with flashing lights - can I stop that?
A couple of things spring to mind.

Firstly, it could be updating itself but I don't think that it would do this every day at the same time.

Have you got it set as some kind of alarm? The one at the side of my bed acts as an alarm clock, radio, and music player. I just ask Alexa to set an alarm to a particular time.

Check to see if the `Do Not Disturb` feature has been activated in the Amazon App on your phone.

The lights for the above are blue but other colours mean different things.

A link to what the colours mean here.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/light-ri...on-echo-alexa/
Lindyloo
isle of wight

16-02-2019, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Lindy, your OP suggested that one computer WAS working and that another wasn't.

Is this still the case? Is one of your PCs connected to the internet and working ok?

If so you can stop focusing on the router and start focusing on the PC that won't connect
Yes - that's right. The original message on that computer was the DNS server isn't responding - and Marmaduke sent me a link for resolving that........which I tried; also tried another link I found........neither worked!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

16-02-2019, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A couple of things spring to mind.

Firstly, it could be updating itself but I don't think that it would do this every day at the same time.

Have you got it set as some kind of alarm? The one at the side of my bed acts as an alarm clock, radio, and music player. I just ask Alexa to set an alarm to a particular time.

Check to see if the `Do Not Disturb` feature has been activated in the Amazon App on your phone.

The lights for the above are blue but other colours mean different things.

A link to what the colours mean here.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/light-ri...on-echo-alexa/
Thanks Judd. I haven't set any alarms. All Alexa does so far is turn the bedside light on and off. When Alexa woke me this morning........about 5 am ish.....I asked what was happening and Alexa said it was learning!!! Creepy huh?

So I guess downloading something or other.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2019, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Yes - that's right. The original message on that computer was the DNS server isn't responding - and Marmaduke sent me a link for resolving that........which I tried; also tried another link I found........neither worked!
So, if the router is fine and thus the internet is fine I would go into Network settings on the PC that doesn't work and delete the connection to your home router and then set it up again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top