Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
kismet
southsea uk
kismet is female  kismet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 11:57 AM

Re: Does anyone have a HP .......

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This depends on your beliefs and level of awareness and conspiratorial bent.

I've worked in IT for years and gone from Dos, to Windows 3.1, to Win 95, XP, and all the way to Windows 7.

I ask myself what exactly has any of these successive releases of windows provided for me? And I come up dry.
It's just an operating system in which I run software apps.

What Microsoft does (and other large software providers) is simply tweak things around, make them look and feel different and in the process hide away lots of settings and security measures that were previously readily visible.

They don't want people blocking advertising and being security savvy imo. All these big companies are in league with each other. Microsoft, Google, the anti-virus companies, broadband providers and so on. Microsoft releases versions of Windows full of gaps, holes and bugs that can be exploited. That allows viruses to be created and be a viable threat and that creates the market for anti-virus companies. It's a protection racket any way you cut it.

When broadband was in its infancy and many of us were still using 56K modems to surf the Net, Microsoft helped the broadband movement by releasing a crap new version of Windows, full of bugs and exploitable holes and then provided the solution to it all called "Service Pack 2".

This SP2 was so humongous in size that it was impossible to download it from the Net using an old 56K modem. So people were pretty much forced to buy into broadband and sign up to monthly subscriptions so they could get SP2 and be safe. The strategy worked quite well and now we all have broadband.

Today, Windows and software developers all work together. MS creates a new version of Windows and "magically" all the software apps out there are unable to operate on that new operating system (MS make sure of that). So the developers then develop a new version of their software (say Photoshop) and now everyone is on a ticking timebomb schedule to pay for a new version or face their existing version becoming unsupported.

It's all a neat scam imo.

Generally I don't upgrade software ever. I work with what I have for as long as is humanly possible. As a result I get stability and no hassle. I have Windows 7 because it came with my laptop. No intention of going to Win 8. It won't provide anything useful for me.
yes realist I agree with what you say and have worked my way from 486. and with the so called progress ended up with compatible problems.as I wrote music I had a cakewalk recording studio set up which was fine up to xp after that useless, so I split hard drive windows 7 and xp now windows xp no support. the hp 8.1 ive got it back to factory state just registered it got internet working and everything seems fine but so far havnt put anything else on. still using very old laptop with windows 7
kismet
southsea uk
kismet is female  kismet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
In the light of day I would have liked to edit the above as it is downright rude.

Oops - once again.
things always look different in mornings
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2015, 01:20 PM

In the light of day I would have liked to edit the above as it is downright rude.

Oops - once again.
Well done
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 06:27 PM

Realist:

Keep it short bro - eh 'boring' - and I work on computers!

OK - may as well make it plain: can't be arsed to read it all.

Dun.
The quick and easy way to express those statements is to simply post:

TLDR

(Too long didn't read)
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
haha, makes one wonder what makes a talker call himself a realist.
Yeah, I agree, the Readers Digest version please.
Ok condensed version

The big corps are scamming you all - wake up and smell the coffee.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The quick and easy way to express those statements is to simply post:

TLDR

(Too long didn't read)
Handy .

I nearly used it on another post you made .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 10:05 AM

Don't be put off Realist, I love reading and absorbing what you write. It's good to know all the in's and out's.

I've been running Vista on my Desk PC for a few years now, but when I bought my Netbook it had Windows 7 on.

At first I was disappointed with Vista because it would not run Microsoft Money [ a very useful program ] but now comparing Vista with Windows 7, no contest. Vista is far superior and whereas I have had some issues with Windows 7, Vista just keeps on going, and if I do get any hiccups Vista is so easy to sort out.

As a matter of interest, I disable windows updates as soon as I can, they are more trouble than they are worth......no problems thus far.

Keep doing what you're doing Realist.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Don't be put off Realist, I love reading and absorbing what you write. It's good to know all the in's and out's.

Keep doing what you're doing Realist.
Yes, he does make very good and interesting points.

My sense of humour can be a little challenging .

Realist is up forrit though for sure.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2015, 07:50 PM

Yes, he does make very good and interesting points.

My sense of humour can be a little challenging .

Realist is up forrit though for sure.
Cheers Mark, I just didn't want Realist to think nobody reads and appreciates his stuff. Hope he comes back.....

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top