Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 09:13 AM

Re: Football Clubs

So, the money paid by or received by these clubs should now be liable for capital gains tax!!!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 09:20 AM

I never cease to be amazed by the inanity of this game or it's fans with their mob hysteria, but to each his own poison I guess, as long as it's their money and not mine..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 09:37 AM

I agree, it's not like the money would be put into the NHS or something if it wasn't paid to these people it would just be spent on another luxury most of us can live without quite happily.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Quite correct, no market no sale, but I would suspect it's not only ticket sales that swell football clubs coffers, I would not mind betting that a portion of your Sky subscription, and the like, is channelled to these clubs, so, unintentionally, somewhere along the line, we are probably all paying a bit if this geezers wages.
Absolutely which is why Sky ended up with a monopoly. A lot of ordinary fans have been priced out of watching their teams due to the cost of season tickets.

What they are bought and sold for is morally obscene - as has been said, they don't really do anything ground breaking and I wasn't aware that Gareth Barry was up in the ranks of Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos so I'm a bit stumped as to why he's the world's most expensive player
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
So, the money paid by or received by these clubs should now be liable for capital gains tax!!!
Yes
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Even some old folk freeze to death in their own homes or starve to death through lack of money, whilst these kids are getting paid enormous sums which they can't deal with.

I don't know owt about football, except to say perhaps that these blokes are paid phenomenal sums of money to kick a ball around every now and again.

Makes me wonder how they sleep at night.

Sorry about the rant.
Don't apologise Mollie, you ranted to perfection. Get if off your chest gal.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree, it's not like the money would be put into the NHS or something if it wasn't paid to these people it would just be spent on another luxury most of us can live without quite happily.
Unfortunately money doesn't buy manners though. It is frequently in the news about footballers and other 'celebrities' causing mayhem. Trashing hotel rooms for a start, comes to mind. Some are so stupid as well, because they get involved with the girl 'groupies' , not considering for a moment that it's a set up, and will likely be used against them at some point in the future.
They can buy their way out of situations that people like you and I would be prosecuted for.
Talking of 'celebrities', anyone getting tired of 'celebrity' this, that, and the other on telly yet?
There you are Mollie, you are not the only one who can rant.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 11:31 AM

So true but I would challenge anyone not to take this money if it were offered to them. Sportsmen have a short time in which they can make significant amounts of money so grab it while they can. Hard to say they shouldn't. Also many don't go down the routes you say many are involved in charities and helping especially children. So I find it hard to begrudge them the chance to do that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-09-2013, 11:34 AM

Hats off to you Julie, I guess you're more tolerant than me.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2013, 11:47 AM

No blaming the footballers and why should you, it's the abject stupidity of the people who pay their wages that is so laughable, which is probably exactly what the footballers think of them as well...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top