Join for free
Page 220 of 370 « First < 120 170 210 218 219 220 221 222 230 270 320 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 06:18 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Tachyon, well done on the gym visit. I hope this finds you and your mom on the mend. Ginger tea has positive benefits - outside of wanting to swim in it to keep warm this time of year. .

Ruthio, thanks for the kind thoughts. This came out of left field, but there is nothing to do but give her full and happy days (as is possible), until we can get past this. I am all over the research most of the days trying to find out what my have gone awry.

Floydy, I had no idea you had been feeling poorly for so long. It's a shame that the celebration you and your wife had planned was a disappointment. Hopefully you can make up for it when you are both feeling better. Well done on your first visit back to the muscle factory! What you call a basic routine would level most of us!

OGF that run is one for the books and written so well that you left me shivering and reaching for a blanket! I know well how good that shower must have felt; a long, scalding hot-shower after a winter surf session might be near the top of decadent treats in life.

With a great blue heron seeking shelter under the roof of the boat house this morning, that's sign enough that the winter rain is no match for people or birds this afternoon. That means a date with the dreadmill is in my near future. It's dry, OGF, but as you understand, it sure is boring! I want to run so badly outdoors I could almost run in freezing, wet conditions....

Almost.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 02:25 AM

Strange isn't it Suzie, that three weeks away from the gym and a brief visit suddenly gets me itching to go back immediately - and it's the middle of Saturday night/Sunday morning! I'll bide my time and wait until later

Sounds like you're getting our weather over there at present also. The cold, the wind, the rain...it certainly puts a downer on any attempt at venturing outdoors. perhaps a nice hot drink and an extra layer of sports clothing and you can brave the elements a little? On the other hand, get your phone loaded up with some classic rock and hit that 'dreadmill'. At least it's drier indoors.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 12:20 PM

For those of us without a smartphone or dreadmill......

Plenty of standing water this morning but clear skies, and running my eight mile road course, it was nice to finish with dry clean shoes.... Although with all the rain of the the last week (of which I was a recipient!) the river Don was fairly high...Nice view of Venus though.....

PS:-Nice jumper Floydy...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
For those of us without a smartphone or dreadmill......

Plenty of standing water this morning but clear skies, and running my eight mile road course, it was nice to finish with dry clean shoes.... Although with all the rain of the the last week (of which I was a recipient!) the river Don was fairly high...Nice view of Venus though.....

PS:-Nice jumper Floydy...
Good work on the 8-miler Bob. Pleased the weather was on your side today for a change. It's a lovely here to be honest
(Couldn't resist that Pink Floyd festive jumper)

Sunday 9/12/18: Catch-up, pt.2; 50mins.
(All weights in kilogrammes)

Still feeling croaky with this irritating dry cough of mine and stiff neck niggles, I was still raring to get back into the gym for a second day’s ‘comeback’ session this afternoon. The off-the-cuff spontaneous routine I hastily assembled yesterday
Was actually quite productive and I awoke late this morning feeling quite well ‘worked’ in the biceps and triceps, with the shock of these arm muscles suddenly being stressed and strained again, however light the session was, staying pretty well pumped and harder than before so it appears to have done the trick.

So with the old adage of “If it ain’t brok, don’t fix it”, I adapted a couple of leg workouts to suit this same method, with another three arm-based exercises beforehand just to seal tight yesterday’s build process. So as per my previous session it was three sets of light baby weights with increasing reps followed by two heavier sets (it was only one yesterday) and a final very light set to finish each set.

DB hammer curls, standing:
6x12, 8x12, 10x12
6x14, 8x14
12x10
*Just a note. ‘Hammer curls’ are like standard bicep curls with a dumbbell but instead of having the palms facing upward, they grip the weight as you do with a hammer and curl up to the shoulder in the same way, hence the name. Rather than work the big ‘belly’ of the inner biceps, these hit the exterior side creating the ‘peak’ to the muscle, which in turn separates both heads of the biceps. (Some purist bodybuilding speak there for you, lol).

E-Z preacher curl, seated:
8x28, 10x28, 12x28
6x43, 8x43
20x18
*The second lift of the 43kg weight set was actually quite a big jump in weight which tested my arms a bit, especially as was required to better the previous set’s repetitions. Hard work but oh boy were those guns looking swollen!

Tricep extensions:
12x40, 15x40, 18x40
8x70, 10x70
25x25
*Noticing the rather high reps of those first three sets I could have gone 10kgs heavier to be honest, but it’s only a trial programme anyway. I made up for the lack of weight by adding a full 30kgs to the following two sets, which taxed my triceps much more suitably.

Seated ham curls:
12x40, 16x40, 20x40
8x60, 10x60
20x30
*My remaining two exercises and it was a return to doing some leg work after almost three weeks. No problems with these at all as I kept the weight pretty low so as not to feel too many painful after effects tomorrow.

Sled leg press:
15x150, 20x150, 25x150
10x200, 15x200
20x100
*This new procedure doesn’t really suit leg exercises to be fair; I was ending up with too many reps as the machine doesn’t go heavy enough to satisfy lower reps in my case, hence the bigger reps. The 200 was the maximum it goes and really I should have used the free weight incline press where I could have gone much heavier. Then again, that wasn’t the goal today; I was there to recapture my lost three weeks of training!

Loved all that, nice little session, however light.
I’ll stay with this format for some different exercises during the week (back, shoulders etc) and return to doing some cardio on Friday.

Thanks for reading
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 03:16 AM

If it's eight miles for OGF, it must be Sunday! As reliable as a clock, it's always satisfying that you have had a long and successful outing.

Not playing the girl card today, I put on half contents of my closet and ran the track for five miles. Nearly as dull as the dreadmill, running the soft oval track is most forgiving to the joints, allowing me to keep an eye on my daughter as she walks and jogs. I swear that exercise was critical to bringing her back the first time - helping maintain good sleep patterns, muscle strength and somewhat of a decent appetite.

Floydy, I keep thinking about how I am going to maintain my muscle strength now being more of a homebody for a while. I am debating whether or not to get some free weights or just pushing the yoga. Nice workout today. Pushing machines to their weight limits is not exactly my problem . Great job!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-12-2018, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Not playing the girl card today, I put on half contents of my closet and ran the track for five miles. Nearly as dull as the dreadmill, running the soft oval track is most forgiving to the joints, allowing me to keep an eye on my daughter as she walks and jogs. I swear that exercise was critical to bringing her back the first time - helping maintain good sleep patterns, muscle strength and somewhat of a decent appetite.

Floydy, I keep thinking about how I am going to maintain my muscle strength now being more of a homebody for a while. I am debating whether or not to get some free weights or just pushing the yoga. Nice workout today. Pushing machines to their weight limits is not exactly my problem . Great job!
It's such a shame about your daughter, Suzie. You're doing everything you can to monitor her though, so it's all part of the recuperation process I guess. My best wishes to her.

On the exercise side for yourself (and perhaps for your daughter too if she's strong enough), purchasing some basic light weights is a very good idea. They don't need to be very heavy - I would say a 2kg-10kg range of dumbells plus a bar with some discs of a similar weight and a bench is all you need to improvise without the use of a gym.

There are so many exercises you can do with just the most fundamental of equipment: presses, curls, lunges, flys, rows, weight 'punches', overhead lifts and even deadlifts from the floor. Good luck, and don't forget to ask for advice as I'll always help if I can. Couple of vids below

Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2018, 08:51 PM

Having enjoyed my first visit to the gym in a month last week I went today and spent a happy couple of hours there today. I'm going to go tomorrow as well, the Fates permitting. It's funny, but because of my ropey knees I was given a free bus pass until 2020, so I have officially joined the ranks of The Twirlies.

I aim to get my knees back to working order though and slowly but surely the extra muscle is helping. Now that I know it's not a bone problem, and is just internal inflammation I am increasing the leg exercises very gradually. I checked with my various doctors first though. At least I now know I'm not actually risking physical damage to the joint, and while it's still painful I'd rather have legs that are painful but strong rather than painful but weak.

Good luck all, whatever your routine is!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

11-12-2018, 04:13 AM

This is ridiculous. Twice I have written and have been sidetracked, only to have lost my post for waiting too long.

In a nutshell:

Floydy - awesome suggestions. Thank you.

Tachyon - Keep us posted on the knee work. The only arthritis pain I ever had went away for good once I resumed running after a long hiatus.

OGF - 5.25 miles today in a parka and snow boots. Ok, more like a light running jacket and running shoes, but you know me and my whining about the temps...

Carry on and forgive my inability to forum.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

11-12-2018, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Having enjoyed my first visit to the gym in a month last week I went today and spent a happy couple of hours there today. I'm going to go tomorrow as well, the Fates permitting. It's funny, but because of my ropey knees I was given a free bus pass until 2020, so I have officially joined the ranks of The Twirlies.

I aim to get my knees back to working order though and slowly but surely the extra muscle is helping. Now that I know it's not a bone problem, and is just internal inflammation I am increasing the leg exercises very gradually. I checked with my various doctors first though. At least I now know I'm not actually risking physical damage to the joint, and while it's still painful I'd rather have legs that are painful but strong rather than painful but weak.

Good luck all, whatever your routine is!
Good man, Tachyon. You and me both mate with the few weeks of training abstainance. Take it easy with those knees after the lay off, mine are getting twinges already from yesterday

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
This is ridiculous. Twice I have written and have been sidetracked, only to have lost my post for waiting too long.

In a nutshell:

Floydy - awesome suggestions. Thank you.

Tachyon - Keep us posted on the knee work. The only arthritis pain I ever had went away for good once I resumed running after a long hiatus.

OGF - 5.25 miles today in a parka and snow boots. Ok, more like a light running jacket and running shoes, but you know me and my whining about the temps...

Carry on and forgive my inability to forum.
Suzie - Mainly due to my own write-ups taking longer to post than most of my actual workouts, I now type them out on a Word document first. Then I simply copy the text and paste on here, adding things like bold, italics and the obligatory smileys.
Just an idea
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Yer, that's what I've been doing recently Floydy.......Either that or copying it every now and then.

Well done Tachyon, I am amazed at your workload, especially after having similar heart problems as me..... An inspiration is far too tame a word.....

A good run Surfermom, especially after your nights sleep was interrupted. You are aware that you will get used to the cold.......

I had a superb five mile run this morning, no wind, dry with just a hint of mist in the distance. Only problem is, that it's taking longer to get light in the mornings and my first mile goes down the side of a field on a small waterlogged path, so some light is appreciated. That means, by the time I've done the run, filled out my running journal and perused the forum while finishing my apple (an apple a day thing) had a shower, dried the shower, pressups, shave and breakfast...In that order....it's almost midday..........and time for lunch!...

So much nicer in the summer when I can be all done and dusted by 9:00am....

Page 220 of 370 « First < 120 170 210 218 219 220 221 222 230 270 320 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top