Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 01:30 AM

Cistern overflow!

The water goes into the overflow, I've been told this is ok as it will run back into the cistern, is that correct? It doesn't have a ballcock as it's the modern type so I adjusted the control by turning the screw anti clockwise, it reached the normal level and settled but when I checked it a little later it had risen above and had entered the outlet tube!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 01:37 AM

Re: Cistern overflow!

Originally Posted by Honey ->
The water goes into the overflow, I've been told this is ok as it will run back into the cistern, is that correct? It doesn't have a ballcock as it's the modern type so I adjusted the control by turning the screw anti clockwise, it reached the normal level and settled but when I checked it a little later it had risen above and had entered the outlet tube!
Keep adjusting it til it stops below the markers.
Trial and error
Are you sure it's not going into the pan?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 01:45 AM

If the cistern kept filling and the internal overflow just put it back into the cistern it would eventually fill.
The overflow dumps the excess water into the pan.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 01:56 AM

There's a constant trickle of water in the pan, it's set well below the markers and stops initially but then the level rises
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

15-02-2016, 02:15 AM

Right, so it is overflowing or it's not seated correctly into the cistern.
Who fitted it?
Is it a new loo or just the siphon?
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

15-02-2016, 02:18 AM

It's going into the overflow pipe, I've just moved into the property so it's all new to me!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

15-02-2016, 02:24 AM

That's correct, if it overflows it goes into the pan.
It seems like the Valve isn't shutting properly, possibly faulty.
I'd screw it down a lot lower than the markers and then try readjusting it.

I'm ok at replacing them but not well up on the mechanics etc.
Gasman or Fender may be a better bet, although they're heating engineers their understanding of all thing plumbing will be far greater than mine.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

15-02-2016, 02:32 AM

It's well below the markers and the valve shuts off but the water silently fills up after a short while. I'd just like peace of mind to know it wont cause a flood
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

15-02-2016, 02:45 AM

It won't, the water will keep going into the loo, not a problem.

The valve can't be shutting properly , if it were it wouldn't keep filling up or there's a fault pre valve.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2016, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
If you can't adjust it don't mess about trying to fix it for $20 (£10) you can buy a replacement for the water inlet device. Not cheaper than buying washers etc but nearly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top