Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 05:42 PM

Garden Lighting

Does anyone use those 'Dusk to Dawn' lights around their property?
I am thinking of getting one installed but don't know enough about them yet, like how much light they give/cost to run etc.

Thanks.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 05:53 PM

Re: Garden Lighting

If you mean those security lights which come on when someone approaches the house then the 'running cost' is very low unless you social life is considerably better than mine

But remember they will also activate on any warm blooded creature so your dog will trigger the light if he is outside and that could mean they are on almost all the time also cats, squirels, even hedgehogs

You can buy solar powered lighting which only comes on from dusk to dawn but I would be wary of them because basically the advertising is let's say a tad 'optomistic'
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 05:54 PM

"Dusk to Dawn" do you mean the security lights that only come on with movement Mups?
annemuldoon
Carlisle UK
annemuldoon is female 

29-02-2016, 06:00 PM

The woman next door has one thats on all night,it lights my bedroom up a bit but i dont mind because I am frightened of the dark, I have a nursery light on all night. Scardy cat I know!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
If you mean those security lights which come on when someone approaches the house then the 'running cost' is very low unless you social life is considerably better than mine

But remember they will also activate on any warm blooded creature so your dog will trigger the light if he is outside and that could mean they are on almost all the time also cats, squirels, even hedgehogs

You can buy solar powered lighting which only comes on from dusk to dawn but I would be wary of them because basically the advertising is let's say a tad 'optomistic'

No Losos, I don't mean the ordinary security lights worked by a sensor, they drive me up the wall. If a moth fly's past they come on and I keep thinking someone's lurking out there!
No, the ones I'm on about are only 5 watt (not solar), and come on at dusk and stay on until dawn.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 06:32 PM

I wouldn't have outside lights on all night, burglars can see what's around and hide in the shadows, also they can see the locks etc.
My neighbour directly opposite has one above her front door that shines into my lounge, flippin' thing.
At the back there's one that goes on and off all night if it's windy and lights up my bedroom, another pain.
I've got two that I switch on if I'm going to be coming home or if anyone's going to call in the dark, family usually.
Whatever you chose Mups be aware that they can annoy your neighbours and point them away from their windows.
Also you won't see the stars so well!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 06:38 PM

I wouldnt like to have lights on all night either for similar reasons to TessA...I have a very powerful security light which comes on at movement aimed at my driveway and oil tank as ive had attempts on that before when I didnt have the light up...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 07:22 PM

Neighbour has one which barely glows until someone approaches and it then comes on. If it gives you peace of mind then dont wait.

First thing i did after i separated from my wife was to install safety chains on her door as she was worried about living alone.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 08:16 PM

I have outside lights LED 5 watt on timers they come on at dusk and go off about midnight.

If youre asleep you wont see someone breaking in or damaging your car anyway but the constant flicking on and off from your mega watt light is enough to annoy the neighbours big time.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 08:36 PM

I have sensors on my gate posts and rear patio that switches on the external lighting and camera when the beam is broken.

Don't much care for lighting that stays on, there's no deterrant value.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top