Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2016, 09:08 PM

Mongolian cushions

I replaced my angora cushions that had seen better days with some Mongolian ones, (all look the same to me, but hey ho). They are feather filled.

They all seem to have a smell about them, hard to describe, but probably a bit musty/fishy. When I go into the lounge, it smells old ladyish, and it ain't me () it's the cushions.

Any ideas how to get rid of the smell? I don't want to spray them with anything, I'd just be sneezing all the time.

I had them outside today in the glorious sun and crisp air, but they still whiff. Do you think in time the smell will fade?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 05:09 AM

Re: Mongolian cushions

Neutradol is meant to be good...

http://www.neutradol.com/Fabric-Care...-products.html
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 09:57 AM

Any ideas how to get rid of the smell? I don't want to spray them with anything, I'd just be sneezing all the time.
Hi Pesta are they sheepskin .Rather than a spraying them you could try putting them in a large plastic bag one at a time and shaking/rubbing them in bicarbonate of soda then shaking them outside to remove it and hanging on a washing line.

Personally I would take them back and buy something else
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 11:41 AM

Try freezing them, we got rid of a fishy smell on a coat we bought from eBay by freezing it.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Pesta are they sheepskin .Rather than a spraying them you could try putting them in a large plastic bag one at a time and shaking/rubbing them in bicarbonate of soda then shaking them outside to remove it and hanging on a washing line.

Personally I would take them back and buy something else
Thanks Meg. I thought about the bicarb route and might go down it when the weather is nice enough to put them outside.
Can't take them back, got rid of the receipts
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

08-03-2016, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Try freezing them, we got rid of a fishy smell on a coat we bought from eBay by freezing it.
Hi Julie....that too crossed my mind. I've heard about people putting their jeans in the freezer instead of washing them
What crossed my mind though, if you put clothes in the freezer, don't they thaw out and then are wet? Although I washed my other ones in cool water last summer, it took an absolute age to get them dry as the backside of the cushions are suede.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 11:05 PM

I put the coat in a sealed plastic bag and it didn't get damp.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2016, 11:17 PM

I have put a coat on the line when we had a heavy frost. As has been suggested put in a freezer in a plastic bag fort a couple of days. Another trick is to seal in a plastic bag with newspaper. The carbon absorbs the smell.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-03-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Celyn ->
I have put a coat on the line when we had a heavy frost. As has been suggested put in a freezer in a plastic bag fort a couple of days. Another trick is to seal in a plastic bag with newspaper. The carbon absorbs the smell.
Thanks for that Celyn and also Julie.

That's it then, I'll have a go at freezing them.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2016, 06:36 PM

Did you try it Pesta and did it work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top