Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Freespirit
Dorset, UK
Freespirit is female  Freespirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 10:42 PM

Re: Coffee.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
My dad used to have that. Probably some throwback to his army days. Isn't that chicory?
AnnieS, I think you are right, it was mainly chicory with something else, can't remember what. Our mum and aunties used to give to us as kids making it with boiled milk. I can still remember the taste.

Nowadays, I only ever drink Kenco, Nescafe Gold or if I have the beans I use my 1970's percolator which still works perfectly. I am not keen on using pods or teabags etc as it seems to be just dust.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2017, 11:06 PM

Bliss .... I'm sniffing the coffee aroma here. I had to stop drinking it a few years ago as it upsets my tummy too much.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Bliss .... I'm sniffing the coffee aroma here. I had to stop drinking it a few years ago as it upsets my tummy too much.

Does DeCaff upset you too, Mort?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 05:15 PM

I think what you put in your coffee is important to the taste.
I like coffee mate or a splash of evaporated milk in mine, plus one spoonful of sugar.

How do you take yours?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I think what you put in your coffee is important to the taste.
I like coffee mate or a splash of evaporated milk in mine, plus one spoonful of sugar.

How do you take yours?
Black, no sugar or milk
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 05:53 PM

White or black no sugar.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 06:38 PM

Nescafe Azera Americano for me as well, but I also like Douwe Egberts (any variety) - with just a splash of semi-skimmed milk and no sugar.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by carol;1255170[B
]I think what you put in your coffee is important to the taste.[/B]

How do you take yours?

Very true Carol darlin' - Black coffee + a splash of BRANDY!!!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Black, no sugar, and not too hot.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 11:19 AM

Instant coffee is crud imho but I suspect most people know that already.

Still it may still come as a surprise to some to learn how it is made.

There are two methods.

The first is "Spray Drying".

You roast and grind coffee beans and then combine them with water to make a concentrated coffee sludge. Yep that's right, your "instant" coffee has already been coffee ! What you are getting is second hand dregs in effect.

That coffee liquid is then pumped through fine spray nozzles into very hot air where the water element vapourises instantly and leaves just the dried coffee granules falling to the bottom.

The second method is "Freeze Drying".

Once again the roasted coffee beans are mixed with water and cooked down into an extract. It is then chilled at roughly 20 deg F to make a kind of coffee slush puppy. . . nice !

It's chilled again at a lower temperature until it's a slab of slush puppy and then broken into granules. The granules then go through a drying machine in a vacuum which vapourises the water (ice) leaving the coffee granules.

Either way, your jar of "instant coffee" is nothing more than second hand coffee dregs which of course have lost a great deal of the great coffee flavour and caffeine that we know is in the original coffee bean.

To add insult to injury that lovely fresh coffee aroma that you smell when you first open a new jar and pierce the gold film seal, IS NOT THE COFFEE !

It's an artificial aroma that is pumped into the jar at the last minute just before the jar is sealed.

Like so many things in life, instant coffee is yet another synthetic product that is far removd from the original product of nature. It is inferior in every important aspect.

Imagine taking freshly roasted and ground coffee beans and mixing them with hot water in a french caffetiere. After I take a cup out for a nice drink, I take the remaining coffee liquid/sludge from the caffetierre and pump it through a fine spray nozzle into very hot air to remove the water and create instant coffee granules.

Is that really what you want to be drinking ? !!!!!

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top