Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Re: Loft conversion

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Very impressive Barry, I don't blame you for having a couple of days rest now .... you've certainly earned it!
Certainly for somebody with two new hips! I'm keeping an eye on him, from afar, ensuring he doesn't overdo it.
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Very nice work Barry. Well done you.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 08:29 PM

Something for you to be really proud of Barry - it looks great. I look forward to seeing the inside.

Are you a builder by trade?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 10:11 PM

Looking good Barry.

Remember to fit a 240V ionisation type smoke alarm in the loft linked to another smoke alarm (optical) in the bungalow's hallway if there is one or a lounge if not.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Very nice job Barry, it is just a question of time before our roof needs doing, might get a dormer built in, just in case.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 10:03 AM

Nice one Barry, I'm a joiner myself so know exactly whay's involved with a loft conversion..

In fact I'm in the process of constructing one now in Edinburgh.

I've just fitted the staircase( double winder) and installed the velux above and it looks great.

Luckily the roof pitch on this bungalow was 40 degrees and the ceiling height was 2900 so head room was not an issue.

Worst job.......insulating between the rafters with celotex!! and covering the underside of the rafters with 25mm insulated plasterboard. .......Don't forget to plant timber on the u/side of your rafters to create your air-flow gap.

Btw ...I go home aching everyday but then I am in my 50's!!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Looking good Barry.

Remember to fit a 240V ionisation type smoke alarm in the loft linked to another smoke alarm (optical) in the bungalow's hallway if there is one or a lounge if not.
No problem Judd, it's all in the spec for building regs anyway...

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Nice one Barry, I'm a joiner myself so know exactly whay's involved with a loft conversion..

In fact I'm in the process of constructing one now in Edinburgh.

I've just fitted the staircase( double winder) and installed the velux above and it looks great.

Luckily the roof pitch on this bungalow was 40 degrees and the ceiling height was 2900 so head room was not an issue.

Worst job.......insulating between the rafters with celotex!! and covering the underside of the rafters with 25mm insulated plasterboard. .......Don't forget to plant timber on the u/side of your rafters to create your air-flow gap.

Btw ...I go home aching everyday but then I am in my 50's!!
We have 125mm rafters so I'm putting 75mm Ecotherm between leaving a 50mm air gap above, then another 50mm Ecotherm beneath the rafters and foil backed platerboard to finish.

Also because of the ceiling joist spans I've also had to use 225mm trimmers for the new floors joists, so the volume of the room is ever decreasing, none of which helps with the minimum headroom over the stairs. Although it all works on paper and we are allowed to decrease it to 1900mm on the centreline if necessary, I won't know for sure what height I've actually got until until I take out the existing ceiling for the stair well, which should be in the coming week....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 11:41 AM

Excellent Barry, I am seriously impressed. I hope your wife has been up there helping you with her new found head for heights after the wing walk.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Excellent Barry, I am seriously impressed. I hope your wife has been up there helping you with her new found head for heights after the wing walk.
She's certainly no slacker LD and is desperate to help, so she does what she can but the weight of some of the timbers is beyond her and I don't want her to hurt herself so don't ask if I can manage alone....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
She's certainly no slacker LD and is desperate to help, so she does what she can but the weight of some of the timbers is beyond her and I don't want her to hurt herself so don't ask if I can manage alone....
That's ok, she can do the painting.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top