Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 05:51 PM

Flatbed Microwave.

Bought a Russell Hobbs flatbed microwave a couple of weeks back off Amazon.
Oh the bliss why the hell didn't anybody tell me about these microwaves years ago.
Time and again throwing away perfectly good microwaves because they rust under the glass plates.
No matter how many times you clean them they still end up going rusty at the base.
Anyways just like to say these past few weeks have been great cooking with the new one and I am visioning a long long life with this one.
It will also save me a small fortune as well..
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 09:00 PM

Re: Flatbed Microwave.

What is different about it Longfellow?
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
What is different about it Longfellow?
Heating wise absolutely nothing Val.
But there is no glass plate on wheels turning the food round.
In which case there is no wear n tear on the base of the microwave so it does not go rusty and will obviously last a hell of a lot longer.
Also without the glass plate and wheels it makes it so much easier to just put your cloth in and dry off the moisture.
Normally that moisture would go under the plate and you would have to take out the plate and wheels to dry it off.

One thing be careful when taking food out because the base is very hot.
I got caught first time but now I always use a tea towel or oven gloves.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 03:33 PM

Do you know, I think my very first microwave was like that, must have been all of 30 years ago now.

The one I have at the moment seems to store a lot of moisture and needs drying off after each use, I also leave the door open after use which helps.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Oh the bliss why the hell didn't anybody tell me about these microwaves years ago.
Time and again throwing away perfectly good microwaves because they rust under the glass plates.
No matter how many times you clean them they still end up going rusty at the base.
Anyways just like to say these past few weeks have been great cooking with the new one and I am visioning a long long life with this one.
I have never heard of a flatbed microwave until now. I looked it up, and will certainly consider buying one when my present microwave gives up the ghost.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Does it cook evenly though? I thought that the turning bit was so that it could catch the microwaves all the way round.
longfellow
Chatterbox

16-05-2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Newcomer ->
Does it cook evenly though? I thought that the turning bit was so that it could catch the microwaves all the way round.
The past week and a half I have not really cooked anything major in it because I have been back n forth to Guys in London.
So I have only done minor things like scrambled eggs/beans/ poached eggs a few ready meals when I have been getting home late or early mornings.
I have to say that I have found that it cooks evenly although I have found that jacket potatoes it is best to go in half way through and flip them over because the bottom gets softer than the top.
Maybe the microwaves hit the food from different directions inside which is how they cook evenly.

All in all well pleased
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 06:00 PM

I'm at a bit of a loss with this LF, we've had the type with the turntable many years and never had a problem. We just lift out the glass plate, wipe out the base and pop the plate back in... no wear, no rust, never a problem...
longfellow
Chatterbox

16-05-2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I'm at a bit of a loss with this LF, we've had the type with the turntable many years and never had a problem. We just lift out the glass plate, wipe out the base and pop the plate back in... no wear, no rust, never a problem...
Barry some are just born lucky.
I have family in the same boat as yourself and they have had their microwave for ages and I have also got friends and family who have had the same problem as myself.
What can I say perhaps there should be a survey run to see why some are still using their microwaves for years and years and some their microwaves only last a few years. Before they go rusty and have to be thrown away.
It could well be down to usage and the size of a family or perhaps the company that makes them, I really don't know.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2018, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I have never heard of a flatbed microwave until now. I looked it up, and will certainly consider buying one when my present microwave gives up the ghost.
me too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top