Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 08:26 AM

why are women not in the tour de france??

well I just thought they weren't interested in such a stupid sport - but not so!! they wanna be in it!!

https://www.the-pool.com/news-views/...ntour&ns_fee=0
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Re: why are women not in the tour de france??

It will happen Gumbud, as ladies clubs develop and produce top of the range cyclists as they are doing now, they will be looking for more testing events. Just a matter of time....
In this years Tour they did introduce a ladies race, in the mountains too.....

Why is it though that you see very few black cyclists?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Good to see ladies having a bash .. and been successful at it judging by the article.

But surely they mean their own event? There is no way a woman could compete against a man in this event.
Other sports, yes ... but the Tour is physically punishing and the stamina and endurance involved a true division of the two sexes.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Women are the tour de force.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Yes, it's true ... thank you d00d but we don't often like to brag about it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Good to see ladies having a bash .. and been successful at it judging by the article.

But surely they mean their own event? There is no way a woman could compete against a man in this event.
Other sports, yes ... but the Tour is physically punishing and the stamina and endurance involved a true division of the two sexes.
I used to compete in several long distance events Morty, I regularly was overtaken by a couple of lady fell runners on forty and fifty mile events. There weren't many lady runners back in the day, but the few that I knew were exceptional.

There is an elite club in the lake district for all who have completed a 'Bob Graham Round' (Google it) since it's inception back in the fifties, there are still only a couple of thousand members demonstrating how hard this event is. My claim to fame is; I know someone who has done it.... But my point is; there are quite a few ladies listed in the hall of fame.

It is said that the female frame lends itself to long distance endurance events; Power to weight ratio, and also the ability to suffer pain and carry on. This strength of spirit was recognised during the war, when ladies made better spy's than men......
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

31-07-2018, 11:06 AM

Ladies made better spies than men?

I believe it. Mental endurance is as much a part of any endurance test as physical .... but, I still can't see a woman beating a man (physical strength) on an event like the Tour if both start on an equal par.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I used to compete in several long distance events Morty, I regularly was overtaken by a couple of lady fell runners on forty and fifty mile events. There weren't many lady runners back in the day, but the few that I knew were exceptional.

There is an elite club in the lake district for all who have completed a 'Bob Graham Round' (Google it) since it's inception back in the fifties, there are still only a couple of thousand members demonstrating how hard this event is. My claim to fame is; I know someone who has done it.... But my point is; there are quite a few ladies listed in the hall of fame.

It is said that the female frame lends itself to long distance endurance events; Power to weight ratio, and also the ability to suffer pain and carry on. This strength of spirit was recognised during the war, when ladies made better spy's than men......
It's the saddles OGF they are so rediculouly uncomfortable.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2018, 12:54 PM

So long as the ladies wear tight shorts, the men will always be behind them.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

31-07-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It's the saddles OGF they are so rediculouly uncomfortable.
They are only uncomfortable for the first few weeks Muddy, once you get used to them they are no bother at all. And experienced lady cyclists will have spent hours in the saddle training....

The reason why the saddles are the shape that they are (long and thin) is so that the inside of the legs don't catch on the sides of the saddle as the legs go up and down and you can keep a more aerodynamic position. The wider saddles are so much more comfy for the new cyclist riding down to the shops or to work, but would be very painful when doing enormous distances.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top