Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2018, 05:00 PM

How Often Do You Clean Out Your Gutters?

I had mine done in March but a few months later the weeds growing in them was many inches high again. No one else on the whole estate appears to have this problem, even though they probably don't get cleared out from one decade to the next.

Originally (in March) we arranged for a company to do the job at an extortionate £65 total (front and back) you couldn't find an easier house to do it (other than a bungalow). They sent some lad round who said he could have done it for more like £20 if we had gone to him direct. My wife argued with him that the job was worth more than £65 so she was pleased to pay that (I kid you not). Negotiation not her strong point it seems.

After many months she is arranging for them to be done again (this time, hopefully, properly) but stunned me by saying she was going back to the same overcharging firm. I said at least go back to the lad (if there is no alternative) - it's still not an attractive proposition. He asked how much was changed last time. She simply told him £65. Thinking is not her strong point.

Anyway, how often do you clear out your gutters?
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 12:49 PM

Re: How Often Do You Clean Out Your Gutters?

And last night the lad turned up uninvited, after dark, when we were all locked up. The next thing he was marching through the house to the back to check out the "size of the job". He recommended we had him put up "mesh gutters" claiming these wouldn't get clogged up the same. Not sure how much truth is in that claim.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 02:42 PM

Twice a year. Mine have those brush thingys in them so it is just a matter of taking them out - flush the gutters with fresh water - wash the brushes and replace them.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 07:13 PM

Invest in one of these, powerful either sucking or blowing

https://www.spinaclean.com/sole-trad...hoCNGkQAvD_BwE

I did and it has paid for itself several times over
one of the best DIY purchases I have made

yes may cost a bit initially but oh what a pleasure to do my gutters when i want without strangers charging up to £80 a time.
With 4 huge oak trees in the back garden this bit of kit get used often in the autumn

To check the gutters I use these

gutter check video. A lot cheaper if you have a small compact camera, all you need is the small flexable tripod

Doing your neighbours for them will help pay for it.. Small business opportunity
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Twice a year. Mine have those brush thingys in them so it is just a matter of taking them out - flush the gutters with fresh water - wash the brushes and replace them.

No good for my roof but ok for bungalows etc. Don't forget to work away from the downpipe so it doesn't block up
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 07:57 PM

Never

I got married

Thats Mr Missys job
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 09:29 PM

The caravan we do two or three times a year we have that russian vine growing in the hedge behind us and we have to clear it from the gutters or it would rip them clean off. At home never I have never seen the council do them, we therefore have blockages in gutters and many of us suffer from water washing back towards the building causing damp.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2018, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Never

I got married

Thats Mr Missys job
Nice one!
Gravitas
North England

27-10-2018, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Twice a year? Do you have an overhanging tree or what?

I don't see how the gutters can clog up so quickly.
Gravitas
North England

28-10-2018, 04:25 PM

I even wondered if the man who fitted my noo gutters about 4 years ago might have put some sort of seeds in them so that I need to have them cleaned out before long.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top