Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 10:02 PM

Re: Sealed instead of vented heating system

Originally Posted by fender ->
Coffee white with one please.......
I concur
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks guys but I think I am getting a migraine! I am sure we had just a powerflush before but then it all went belly up again. Is there anything wrong with sealing the system? It's a lot cheaper than the quote for changing the radiators.
Might be worth digging out the installation log. There's a very slight chance that there's a 5 year guarantee for system failure which if the installer followed MI's to the letter, puts the onus on the manufacturer to rectify. Small chance, to be sure, but maybe worth a few minutes of admin.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I bet us guys could do the job in an afternoon Annie..
Well.....Fender and Dex anyway, I could carry their stuff and make the tea.....
lol I am sure you would all do a far better job!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 10:13 PM

Why change the rads?
Sounds like the last flush was not done properly and inhibitor not added.
Nothing inherently wrong with going over to a combi if that's what you want. Will be cheaper to run anyway.

It's just that from what you've said, it's not really needed.
That's what the last guy said ref the radiators. But I guess changing them and then suggesting a sealed system makes more money. That was the owner's suggestion. I agree that the last flush maybe wasn't great but I am hoping that if the system is sealed it will end this cycle of having the filter cleaned.

We had none of these problems with the old potterton but then it just packed up after years.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 10:15 PM

@ Dex,

I wonder if Annie's guys are on about retaining the system boiler and using an unvented cylinder, when they say "sealed system"......?

That being the case, as long as the house is not huge and does not have two bathrooms which could be in use simultaneously, I'd still go combi for the reduced running costs.

What says you?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-09-2018, 10:22 PM

@ Dex,

I wonder if Annie's guys are on about retaining the system boiler and using an unvented cylinder, when they say "sealed system"......?

That being the case, as long as the house is not huge and does not have two bathrooms which could be in use simultaneously, I'd still go combi for the reduced running costs.

What says you?
Agreed. Don't think that a G3 unvented cylinder would be needed. Changing a 5 year old system boiler to a combi and thus losing the cylinder in the airing cupboard is piddly, but creates potential space in the future.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Agreed. Don't think that a G3 unvented cylinder would be needed. Changing a 5 year old system boiler to a combi and thus losing the cylinder in the airing cupboard is piddly, but creates potential space in the future.
And the extra space in the loft...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-09-2018, 10:32 PM

Yep there are two bathrooms and it's a big house! Perhaps that's why they scratch their heads
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-09-2018, 10:34 PM

Oh and they never mentioned a combi, just a move to a sealed system. Isn't heating fun!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-09-2018, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yep there are two bathrooms and it's a big house! Perhaps that's why they scratch their heads
In which case, subject to what water pressure/flow rate you have, get the G3 tank.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top