Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 12:48 PM

Pruning Roses

Hi

I love my gardening, but never bothered with roses.

I have some huge roses in my new garden, not climbing ones, they are over 6ft tall.

How do I prune them?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 10:55 PM

Re: Pruning Roses

I love roses, they are one of my favourite flowers. Not the florists type as they have no perfume, but scented garden roses . . . mmm, heavenly.

Rather than anyone trying to explain, it would be better if you read the RHS instructions Swim.
The main pruning is not ususally done till about Feb/March though, although you could 'tidy' them a little before then.

Here you go:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=186
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 03:46 AM

I constantly prune & deadhead once the blooms have dried. As a result they flower constantly throughout the year. I'm pretty ruthless at cutting right back to the nearest next branch or leaf. Sometimes cutting right down to stop them taking over. As Monty Don says, there's no right or wrong way but always cut back to something.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I love roses, they are one of my favourite flowers. Not the florists type as they have no perfume, but scented garden roses . . . mmm, heavenly.

Rather than anyone trying to explain, it would be better if you read the RHS instructions Swim.
The main pruning is not ususally done till about Feb/March though, although you could 'tidy' them a little before then.

Here you go:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=186
That's very informative Mups. I do most of that but I don't fully understand the first point. Plus what do they mean by "suckers"?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 05:38 AM

Hi

These are huge, the tallest bunch of flowers is about 8 ft tall and I do need to cut them back before winter.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's very informative Mups. I do most of that but I don't fully understand the first point. Plus what do they mean by "suckers"?
Suckers Annie are stems coming out of the soil growing from the root of the plant, rather than a branch of the plant itself.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

These are huge, the tallest bunch of flowers is about 8 ft tall and I do need to cut them back before winter.
You can cut them back to control them pretty much anytime Swims, if I were you I'd cut them down to about 4 feet now, then do the main pruning in late winter before signs of any growth, as Mups said around Feb or March.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

11-10-2018, 06:19 AM

Hi

Thanks for all the help.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Every year I have to look up how to prune roses but I never seem to find a straight answer. I suppose everyone has different ideas and methods.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I constantly prune & deadhead once the blooms have dried. As a result they flower constantly throughout the year. I'm pretty ruthless at cutting right back to the nearest next branch or leaf. Sometimes cutting right down to stop them taking over. As Monty Don says, there's no right or wrong way but always cut back to something.

don't let UJ see this.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
don't let UJ see this.
Must be Rosa Scumbagii.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top