Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Front porch repair project

For some time we have had a leak on the porch tiled roof. So the other few days we have had quotes for the repair. The one guy we decided on actually took off some of the tiles and found a hole where the gully flows onto the tiles. Seems the felt underneath is not only rotten but also not approved now. So when it dries out and he comes back to check the fix he did works he will do the whole job of removing a large section of tiles, remove old felt and replace it as it should be.

As you can see the old plywood underneath had rotted, it fell away as soon as touched, so what I will do is remove all the plywood and replace with proper wood.

Today just been and ordered the wood, having found exactly what would look better, as in air vent rectangular panels ordered them yesterday. Those hole type vents look cheap and nasty

As long as the material is ready for me to start I can do as soon as I get rid of this horrible cough/cold
Going to take a few days to do but at least having wood will make it easier in the future to replace if necessary.

https://www.alsfordtimber.com/timber...200mm-co22200p

this is what is the replacement have ordered, should make that look a bit more upmarket. Not a hard job but will take a bit of time to do
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 03:24 PM

Re: Front porch repair project

how about adding a couple of downlighters in there realspeed?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 05:53 PM

Thought about it
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

https://www.alsfordtimber.com/timber...200mm-co22200p

this is what is the replacement have ordered, should make that look a bit more upmarket. Not a hard job but will take a bit of time to do
Wouldn't it have been better to use a tongued and grooved matchboard, as the PSE timber planks can warp and twist away from each other with nothing to connect them.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Barry
I considered T/G but had to dismiss all forms of it purely because I wanted access to the void again it would mean taking the whole lot down

The aim is to give a wooden plank effect . Yes the thin Knotty pine is rubbish as edges that interlock break too easily, been there and tried that elsewhere and the knots tend to fall out. The thick ones weight is a concern to me but no knott problems.

so it is back to that link I posted for straight timber. Easy to unscrew one slate if necessary As long as they have a coat of a water repellant as they go up on what would be the (void) underside, tightly laid together and screwed at a reasonable distance apart warping and twisting won't happen.
Ok the area is 7ft long at the widest and 3ft from front to back

Another thing I had to think about is positioning of the vents. So found these which look easy to fix positionally (hopefully) with only having to cut the timber.
T/G could prove a problem
https://www.morehandles.co.uk/from-t...xoCuccQAvD_BwE

comes in brown which we have to have. if they don't do what I not much financial loss. 2 of these just enough to let air circulate in the void but also discreet , they are not the thpe one can open and close.

Overall I wanted to keep costs to a minimum yet still look the business
So as you can see I gave it some thought first with the question of "What if" firmly on my mind
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-11-2018, 01:03 PM

At last managed to remove the rest of the plywood, a real pain in arse job.. Next is rerouting the electrical cable to above joists and make a temp joint until I get a proper electrical box for when the timbers are put in. Also have to add a couple of fixing battens at each end.
Also remove old BT cable no longer used
Ain't no fun doing it with a stinking cold
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-11-2018, 05:00 PM

bit further on

That light in the first picture the cable from it was short for my needs.

Being an old cast iron one did present a bit of a problem with rewiring.
It was impossible to get to the earth screw grub and to side window panel must have been added after the electrical bits were fitted Also the brass retaining ring was seized for the lamp holder. Absolutely no way to get any grip on it, so back to the old tried and tested method old hammer screwdriver and ridges on the ring and tap it free.
Still all done now and while on the work bench Sue wants to give it a new paint job.
Had confirmation air vents on their way and roofer is just waiting for it to rain for and leaks.
Still waiting for wood to arrive
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

07-11-2018, 04:29 PM

End support battened now done,lamp repainted
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
bit further on

That light in the first picture the cable from it was short for my needs.

Being an old cast iron one did present a bit of a problem with rewiring.
It was impossible to get to the earth screw grub and to side window panel must have been added after the electrical bits were fitted Also the brass retaining ring was seized for the lamp holder. Absolutely no way to get any grip on it, so back to the old tried and tested method old hammer screwdriver and ridges on the ring and tap it free.
Still all done now and while on the work bench Sue wants to give it a new paint job.
Had confirmation air vents on their way and roofer is just waiting for it to rain for and leaks.
Still waiting for wood to arrive

That's a nice old lamp.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

08-11-2018, 04:25 PM

Timber came today for porch also vent slats. Next is a trip to the shops to get some brass screws.

Won't stat fitting until the tiler has been and done the tiles and felt. At least after yesterday no more leaks

Lamp back up but not connected for same reason

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top