Join for free
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 09:54 PM

Re: It's done...ish

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Well we are half out of Europe so I suppose we all got half what we wanted which is fair.
It costs us £40 billion and we are still far from free.

Just think what we could do with £40 billion. New hospitals, many more warships to protect our fishing areas and, of course, Gibraltar - assuming, of course, that May doesn't give that away to Spain.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
What will happen if she can't get it through parliament ?
Two things, hopefully:

1. We leave the EU without any compromises or £40 billion payment.

2. May loses her position and, quite possibly, her seat.

I'd certainly vote against this anti-democratic decision.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-11-2018, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Today's agreement is a good compromise.

The 52% get control of laws, money, borders + out of CFP; the 48% get closer trade partnership with EU than Canada or any advanced economy + cooperation on police & security.
The 48% will also benefit from losing our fishing areas and £40 billion. I'm sure they'll be very happy.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The 48% will also benefit from losing our fishing areas and £40 billion. I'm sure they'll be very happy.
Not happy, just sad you voted for it
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

25-11-2018, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Not happy, just sad you voted for it
You really think that I voted for May's infamous deal?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We should be celebrating, not moaning.

A new start, things to do.
You can say that again. At the moment of leaving you have not a single deal. You are out, that's all. Every deal, every form of relationship needs to be negotiated, anew. The political document with the brexit deal states that both parties will do their damnest best to reach an agreement. Both will seek the most profitable deal for themselves......
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You can say that again. At the moment of leaving you have not a single deal. You are out, that's all. Every deal, every form of relationship needs to be negotiated, anew. The political document with the brexit deal states that both parties will do their damnest best to reach an agreement. Both will seek the most profitable deal for themselves......
Hi

Your ability to misrepresent things is stunning.

Everything remains the same in the Transition Period, we are not leaving with No Deal.

Your own Government is wanting the EU to do a good deal with the UK to protect one of it's major export markets.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Your ability to misrepresent things is stunning.

Everything remains the same in the Transition Period, we are not leaving with No Deal.

Your own Government is wanting the EU to do a good deal with the UK to protect one of it's major export markets.
With the brexit deal you obtain closure of your membership. During the transition periode trade relation remains the same, but after transition there is no deal, not yet. During the transition period you have to negotiate the deals for future trade, and all other relations.
If we do not reach agreement, there is no deal. Transition period will be extended, in principal with one year, but there is no fixed period. As long as there is no deal, we don't let you go.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2018, 11:21 AM

This worries me a great deal, and presumably this is one of the reasons MPs hate it...

This (the deal) removes our legal (and sovereign) right to cancel negotiations and walk away with no deal - the one thing that almost everyone agrees the EU is rather nervous about.
This has always been our best negotiating tool - which the Remainers on the UK team have steadfastly refused to threaten to use, thereby reducing our position almost to supplicant.

So...are we putting ourselves into a position which is not even acceptable under UN rules under which a sovereign nation is bound into a treaty from which it cannot withdraw?
No wonder the EU grabbed it with both hands.

I think I'm changing my mind...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-11-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
This worries me a great deal, and presumably this is one of the reasons MPs hate it...

This (the deal) removes our legal (and sovereign) right to cancel negotiations and walk away with no deal - the one thing that almost everyone agrees the EU is rather nervous about.
This has always been our best negotiating tool - which the Remainers on the UK team have steadfastly refused to threaten to use, thereby reducing our position almost to supplicant.

So...are we putting ourselves into a position which is not even acceptable under UN rules under which a sovereign nation is bound into a treaty from which it cannot withdraw?
No wonder the EU grabbed it with both hands.

I think I'm changing my mind...
I agree.

However, I have never changed my mind about Brexit, and never will.

However, the time has come for us to learn what the future of our country will be.

If May's deal is not rejected by the Commons, the country is lost. We shall be a vassal state of the Franco-German alliance, and shall remain so.

Still, as I have said before, due to a number of factors - many of our own making - the country has had it anyway. I'm just glad that Marge and I will not be around in fifty years.

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top