Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:31 PM

Understanding wine labels

Peasant plonk or something pleasant. We usually just select something reasonable priced, and the ABV. The description can be amusing but do not influence what we buy.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Re: Understanding wine labels

Hi Cinderella......

I have always been wondering about this. Every so often I have to bring a hostess gift or give a bottle of wine and don't know how to choose them.

The last time I bought a bottle of white and a bottle of red, but have no idea how to choose, so I just bought a "middle of the road pricing"....and let it go at that.

Do you have something you can tell me for choosing some wine at Christmas as I know I will be buying about 6 bottles.

What is best for men, what is best for ladies? How do I choose.

Your help will be appreciated....

Blue X
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 01:07 PM

https://winefolly.com/tutorial/how-t...-a-wine-label/
https://winefolly.com/tutorial/find-...in-one-minute/

Hope these links are helpful. No tips to pass on, but you can have a jolly good time finding out what you like or not.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 02:09 PM

I don't but wine often but when I do, I go by which label I like the look of. Has worked well so far.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

29-11-2018, 02:28 PM

Dessert wines are too sweet for me, the general rule I've read about them is they should be as sweet or sweeter than the pudding.

It is a personal choice, you know what you like enjoy it!

Interesting article.

https://delishably.com/beverages/Pretentious-Wine-Snobs
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 06:25 PM

Cinders, I wroteabout something similar to this a few weeks back.

I was having a good old moan about the descriptions written on labels and shop shelves. You know the sort of thing . . "luscious grapes grown from HRH's own organic vineyard, with a feint aroma of sparkling cherries and the finest oranges from Brazil....."

All I want to know is whether the damn stuff is Sweet/Med/or Dry, and how much!

What use is it to me knowing where the oranges were grown if when I open it, it is sickly sweet or dry as old bones, and I can't drink it!

Drives me nuts.
These descriptions don't mean much to the average person, not everyone is a flippin' wine connoisseur!
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 07:36 AM

Beauty is in the mouth of the beholder. A Chateux Lafite is a terrible wine to someone who does not like red wine.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2019, 09:06 AM

I used to make my own 'country' wines, but can no longer go picking/gathering the ingredients, so have given up.

Most red wines, I find give me a raging head-ache and frequently taste like vinegar, although I do like Port - it goes very nicely with some cheeses.

For white wine, something crisp not too dry and not too sweet. I have found this beautiful French wine which has a strong hint of Elderflower to it too - Gewurztraminer.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Another bumped thread from Nov !

Was about to respnd to Wild Blueberry before I realised. Hate it when people do this.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Another bumped thread from Nov !

Was about to respnd to Wild Blueberry before I realised. Hate it when people do this.
The thread was started 4 months ago, that is not old and members are very welcome to refresh an older thread if they wish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top