Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 05:41 PM

Heating your home safely

I deliberated about putting this in the general section, but plumped for the Home thread as it regards heating.

We have a combi boiler which supplies our hot water and also distributes heating via radiators throughout our house.

Every winter when the heating is turned on more often I suffer particularly badly with a very dry throat causing me to cough so much I'm almost on my knees. I'm wondering whether I have an allergic reaction, or a s someone said at work maybe it's carbon monoxide poisoning.

Our annual service was done on our boiler last week and I asked the engineer about this. he suggested getting a carbon monoxide meter to measure any higher than usual levels in the house.

Has anyone else done this after suffering with similar symptoms, or could it be something else that triggers my coughing?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 05:45 PM

Re: Heating your home safely

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I deliberated about putting this in the general section, but plumped for the Home thread as it regards heating.

We have a combi boiler which supplies our hot water and also distributes heating via radiators throughout our house.

Every winter when the heating is turned on more often I suffer particularly badly with a very dry throat causing me to cough so much I'm almost on my knees. I'm wondering whether I have an allergic reaction, or a s someone said at work maybe it's carbon monoxide poisoning.

Our annual service was done on our boiler last week and I asked the engineer about this. he suggested getting a carbon monoxide meter to measure any higher than usual levels in the house.

Has anyone else done this after suffering with similar symptoms, or could it be something else that triggers my coughing?
Yes matey you should have a CO meter anyway for your own protection. As to dry air - fill a small dish with water and place it somewhere safe in the room most used (if at all possible on the floor or a low shelf)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 05:53 PM

Hi Floydy.

Any Carbon monoxide would only be coming from your boiler, gas cooker or gas fire. If you had your boiler serviced last week, that should be fine because he would have tested for any leaks, or should have. You can buy a carbon monoxide alarm for the price of a smoke alarm. I just leave mine on top of the boiler.

What I am finding though is the complete opposite. If I go out in the evening, i end up with a cough because of all the log burner fumes. We also find tiny black sooty spots all over the house so that must be going into our lungs.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes matey you should have a CO meter anyway for your own protection. As to dry air - fill a small dish with water and place it somewhere safe in the room most used (if at all possible on the floor or a low shelf)
Thanks Joe. I've started to do that but still get the coughing and dry throat...

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi Floydy.

Any Carbon monoxide would only be coming from your boiler, gas cooker or gas fire. If you had your boiler serviced last week, that should be fine because he would have tested for any leaks, or should have. You can buy a carbon monoxide alarm for the price of a smoke alarm. I just leave mine on top of the boiler.

What I am finding though is the complete opposite. If I go out in the evening, i end up with a cough because of all the log burner fumes. We also find tiny black sooty spots all over the house so that must be going into our lungs.
Hi mate.
It's strange because my wife is fine with it, it's the dry heat that starts me off though. All I can think of is that it's the amount of dust and muck I'm breathing in at work that is contaminating my lungs and the dryness aggravates it.
I will invest in an alarm though
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Thanks Joe. I've started to do that but still get the coughing and dry throat...

Hi mate.
It's strange because my wife is fine with it, it's the dry heat that starts me off though. All I can think of is that it's the amount of dust and muck I'm breathing in at work that is contaminating my lungs and the dryness aggravates it.
I will invest in an alarm though
Yes, it could be work related, I used to get that too when I worked in the factory from hell. The dust on my head also ruined the sofa.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 06:24 PM

We have an old fashioned gas boiler, and two co alarms just in case. I'm assured it's perfectly safe but my husband gets similar symptoms to you floyddy we've put it down to dry air and an allergy to our labrador being made worse by that dry air.

I think at this time of year we don't get windows open so often to freshen our air and get those allergens gone. In the summer often never close a window and he doesn't suffer like this.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

01-12-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We have an old fashioned gas boiler, and two co alarms just in case. I'm assured it's perfectly safe but my husband gets similar symptoms to you floyddy we've put it down to dry air and an allergy to our labrador being made worse by that dry air.

I think at this time of year we don't get windows open so often to freshen our air and get those allergens gone. In the summer often never close a window and he doesn't suffer like this.
Very true, Julie.
My wife likes the house absolutely boiling hot all the time, which causes me to almost suffocate. I'd rather put more clothes on instead and leave some windows open. Trouble is, in the morning when I'm sleeping off nights, I have to have all the windows closed and the door to block out the noise outside, so I use a fan. In the winter the fan is too cold. I just can't win
CandyCrunch
USA
CandyCrunch is female  CandyCrunch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 07:19 PM

If I may, I suggest having a Co2 test done on your home. Once you know your air is safe, you can purchase one or more cold-mist humidifiers.

They may range from $40. for a small one, say near your bedside or favorite chair, on up to an entire room. Throat and nose will feel so much better! It's worth the cost if you can get them.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 07:42 PM

I doubt it’s co2 related, a cough isn’t usually a sign of co2 poisoning, usually accompanied by headache, dizziness nausea and such, a gas leak would have been picked up on the service, ( assuming a tightness test was done) , are any of your gas appliances showing ang signs of blackening around the edges where the flame is! still , a co2 alarm is a good idea,
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2018, 07:42 PM

I would suggest if its carbon monoxide poisoning you'd not be here typing away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top