Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 12:55 AM

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

For loan oft loses both itself and friend, And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

In plain terms, don't expect returns.
I have lent money and other things to family and friends, but, I know full well, that in spite of promises, I will not get any of it back.

What are your views?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 01:01 AM

Re: Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

You are right SP .
Although it's wise to draw up some sort of Family Loan Agreement ( easily downloaded online) in reality what are you going to do if they just don't pay it back ?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 01:07 AM

I learned my lesson years ago. My husband and lent some friends of our £250 because they needed a new fire. They promised repayments and all these years later we are still waiting for even a quid back. They basically took the piss. Some people would call us foolish people but I prefer to say we are caring people who helped someone out in their hour of need. We are still friends with them but never again will we lend anyone such a large amount of money.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 01:09 AM

I don't know why but it's always hard to actually ask for your money back .

I have never borrowed any money from anyone .
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
You are right SP .
Although it's wise to draw up some sort of Family Loan Agreement ( easily downloaded online) in reality what are you going to do if they just don't pay it back ?
Muddy I think it best to realize that they will not.
I have lent so much to family in the past, if it was all paid back, I would be rich.
I found a list I made of money I lent to my youngest BIL, that I had kept, then forgot about, £3,000 when I added it up!!!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

08-12-2018, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I learned my lesson years ago. My husband and lent some friends of our £250 because they needed a new fire. They promised repayments and all these years later we are still waiting for even a quid back. They basically took the piss. Some people would call us foolish people but I prefer to say we are caring people who helped someone out in their hour of need. We are still friends with them but never again will we lend anyone such a large amount of money.
Queeny I have said to myself, water under the bridge.
I have lent so much over the years, not just money.

Adding to Muddy's post, yes it IS hard to ask for it back!
Funny but it does make one feel guilty. No idea why.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 01:14 AM

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
I agree Sweetie and will do nither ...
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

08-12-2018, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree Sweetie and will do nither ...
Oh, Meg, I could borrow those twins
I promise to give them back. x
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 01:34 AM

Interesting and sad topic.
If I see someone in need I may drop them a quid or two with no expectation of it being returned.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

08-12-2018, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Interesting and sad topic.
If I see someone in need I may drop them a quid or two with no expectation of it being returned.
I don't do easy Besso.
Yes, we all help those less fortunate, however, I gave money to someone I truly thought was homeless once, only to see him drive off in a brand new car later that night!!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top