Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 10:52 PM

Re: No dates on Tesco veg

I know we have been brought up with use by and BB dates but seriously, don't get too hung up on them

I work in veg prep, suppyling restaurants , cafes, care homes, and the cook chill sector. We have potatoes in store that have been there 2/3 months so far, and they are still good to work with

When I say store, I mean a shed, not a temperature controlled area

We have carrots, parsnips, onions delivered which could be 3 or 4 months old before they get to us

Before I worked in this field, I was a chef, and in a previous life, a produce manager for Sainsburys

Your food is so old before it hits the shelves, a few days sell by is by the by

When I first started in Sainsburys, and Im sure most of you remember these days, They never opened on a Monday as there was nothing fresh to sell. Saturdays you had to be in the shops at cock crow, or the shelves would be empty of fresh produce, meat and provisions. We didn't get fresh deliveries Friday through to Monday ( and remember chippies never opened on a Monday because you couldn't get fresh fish )

We live in a 24/7 consumer society so we pay for that with food thats chemically kept "fresh" and with sell by dates, so you chuck out good food and go buy more

Longdogs, even if your parsnips go floppy, which they no doubt will, they are still fine to eat
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 05:01 AM

Yep-Missy has hit it squarely on the head.
Don't ANY of you 'seniors' recall allotments?
Grandpa and his cronies,growing anything and everything,from stawberries to spuds,carrots to cabbage,picking/digging them up reverently,then storing them in the allotment shed-or if you were posh,the pantry-until required???

...and 'until required' could be anything from next day to next month.
Did we whinge and bleat about it 'not being fresh'?
COARSE Snot! We were there,helping [ahem] mum peel spuds,scrape carrots,chop cabbage,whizzing in-and-out of the pantry to fetch whatever was next to be readied for cooking. Ok-hands up,everyone who died of eating any vegetable that was past it's 'sell by' date. Anyone??....hmm...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 10:02 AM

I shouldn't worry about the sell by dates at our time of life Longdogs.....some produce boasts a longer sell by date than most of us....Ain't science brilliant....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Thanks for telling me the cauliflowers are only 29p in Tesco as l need to get some. I would have paid the usual £1 otherwise!
I bought two bags of potatoes for 50p each yesterday from Morrison’s. Go on, tell me...they’re only 29p in Tesco!!
No you got a bargain with your tatties I paid £1.50 this week for 2 1/2 kg of them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 10:49 AM

Parsnip storage just found this wonder if it might help https://www.thespruceeats.com/parsni...ection-1807788 I have frozen some before and they were fine.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

In days of old the veg was stored properly, so no problem.

Now some of the supermarkets store it in nitrogen to prolong the shelf life.

As soon as it comes into contact with air it spoils quickly.
I agree. I'm sure most of the apples are frozen and end up mushy although still ,in date.,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I know we have been brought up with use by and BB dates but seriously, don't get too hung up on them

I work in veg prep, suppyling restaurants , cafes, care homes, and the cook chill sector. We have potatoes in store that have been there 2/3 months so far, and they are still good to work with

When I say store, I mean a shed, not a temperature controlled area

We have carrots, parsnips, onions delivered which could be 3 or 4 months old before they get to us

Before I worked in this field, I was a chef, and in a previous life, a produce manager for Sainsburys

Your food is so old before it hits the shelves, a few days sell by is by the by

When I first started in Sainsburys, and Im sure most of you remember these days, They never opened on a Monday as there was nothing fresh to sell. Saturdays you had to be in the shops at cock crow, or the shelves would be empty of fresh produce, meat and provisions. We didn't get fresh deliveries Friday through to Monday ( and remember chippies never opened on a Monday because you couldn't get fresh fish )

We live in a 24/7 consumer society so we pay for that with food thats chemically kept "fresh" and with sell by dates, so you chuck out good food and go buy more

Longdogs, even if your parsnips go floppy, which they no doubt will, they are still fine to eat
I don't do floppy Missy.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:21 PM

Buy a goat!
They like anything. I donate all my not too fresh veg to my wasband's goats.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-12-2018, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Buy a goat!
They like anything. I donate all my not too fresh veg to my wasband's goats.
Only if I can get a fresh one.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree. I'm sure most of the apples are frozen and end up mushy although still ,in date.,
I buy apples from Tesco on a regular basis Longdogs (an apple a day and all that healthy stuff) and the quality varies no end.
Sometimes fresh, crunchy and juicy, and other times dry and yucky....It makes you wonder just how old these apples really are.....

Anyway......You come from darn sarf, I thought all you southerners were 'Floppy'......

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top