Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 08:10 PM

Divers swim with one of biggest great white sharks off Hawaii

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46909353

Some of the divers came so close to the female shark in the waters off Hawaii that they were able to touch it.

The shark, nearly 20ft (6m) long and weighing an estimated 2.5 tonnes, is believed to be one tagged by researchers about 20 years ago called Deep Blue.

It was attracted to the area off Oahu's south shore by the carcass of a dead sperm whale.

One of the divers, Ocean Ramsey, told the Honolulu Star Advertiser that they had been filming tiger sharks feeding on the whale when the shark arrived.

Ms Ramsey said the shark was "shockingly wide" and could be pregnant. Deep Blue is believed to be about 50 years old and has its own Twitter account. Great whites are rarely seen around Hawaii as they prefer cooler seas.

Ms Ramsey said older, pregnant great white sharks were the safest to swim near but cautioned against swimming anywhere where sharks were feeding.
This is Ocean Ramsay (on the left in the big picture above):

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 08:32 PM

Re: Divers swim with one of biggest great white sharks off Hawaii

So what would have happened if the shark had turned round and eaten the diver?

Would humans then say it was a man/woman eater, and feel obliged to hunt it down and kill it?

Why can't we respect these creatures, instead of invading their territory as if we are own everything?

If we want to film these creatures to learn from, fair enough, but film from a discreet distance, respect their privacy, instead of stressing a pregnant animal by going up close and poking it and shoving a camera in it's face, just to see if you can.

I know it's not quite the same thing, but it's like when people complain so much about foxes in their gardens, and raiding their bins at night.
My belief is these wild creatures don't often choose to be that close to us, it is just that we have invaded their territory and built all over their habitat and destroyed their food sources, so they are merely looking for food.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So what would have happened if the shark had turned round and eaten the diver?

Would humans then say it was a man/woman eater, and feel obliged to hunt it down and kill it?

Why can't we respect these creatures, instead of invading their territory as if we are own everything?

If we want to film these creatures to learn from, fair enough, but film from a sensible distance, respect their privacy, instead of stressing a pregnant animal by going up close and poking it and waving a camera in it's face, just to see if you can.
That shark had no taste Mups - I mean, I'd have been after her like a bloody rocket..................
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
That shark had no taste Mups - I mean, I'd have been after her like a bloody rocket..................

Yeah, then forgotten why you were chasing her.

fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yeah, then forgotten why you were chasing her.

Oi you, I'm not that senile just yet.........
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

17-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Oi you, I'm not that senile just yet.........

X
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 09:08 PM

Some people talk the talk, Ocean walks the walk:

https://scubadiverlife.com/women-diving-ocean-ramsey/

Ocean Ramsey was born and raised in Hawaii and started surfing and diving as a child. From a young age she had a passion for the ocean, her namesake. Her passion soon turned into conservation projects meant to help sharks. Ramsey studied marine biology, behavioral sciences and animal behavior, while also becoming a scuba-diving and freediving professional early on.

She founded Water Inspired, a conservation organization dedicated to raising awareness about sharks and changing the public’s general perception about these apex predators. Projects include initiatives to end shark culling and shark finning.

Ramsey is also the co-owner of One Ocean Diving in Hawaii, a company that organizes snorkel trips with the sharks around Hawaii, focusing on conservation and research. The trips feature educational, guided, cage-free encounters with large shark species such tiger sharks, Galapagos sharks, hammerheads, sandbar sharks, silky sharks, whale sharks, and more.

The company also supports One Ocean Conservation, which organizes local beach and reef clean-ups.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 07:49 AM

People like this always get eaten in the end .
There is only so much anti chance you can build up.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2019, 08:08 AM

On my bucket list is to go in an "anti-shark" cage with great whites at feeding time. There are only six places in the world you can do this, all in South Africa and Australia.
If I ever get the chance (and the money) I'll do it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

18-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
On my bucket list is to go in an "anti-shark" cage with great whites at feeding time. There are only six places in the world you can do this, all in South Africa and Australia.
If I ever get the chance (and the money) I'll do it.

Sorry Floydy, but I would still say leave the poor buggers alone.

Why do humans always have to antagonise creatures for pleasure and another money-making game?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top