Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 06:20 PM

Re: Vaccinations for dogs

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We have always had our dogs fully vaccinated. It is foolish to think a pet won't get a preventable illness sometime during its life time.
If going into kennels while on holiday a dog must be fully vaccinated and had the Kennel cough vaccination.

I would hate to think that every time we took our dog/s out for a walk we are risking their health, for the cost of an annual jab why risk it.
Having owned dogs for almost 50 years and often several at one time Sue and I would never forgive ourselves through lack of preventable treatment

Totally agree,..due to circumstances,it is sometimes necessary to put dogs in kennels.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2019, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
unvaccinated dogs help spread disease. Vaccinated dogs don't

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 10:31 AM

Over the years we've only had one dog reacted badly to the vaccine and we agreed with the vet to try another brand and she was fine on that. I have however seen several parvo victims and nearly lost a little manchester terrier to kennel cough which isn't always the benign thing described earlier in the thread.

I never intend to put my dogs into kennels but I can't guarantee it will never happen, we also walk in areas many many dogs walk which puts them at risk and we foster occasionally making the risk of disease higher.

For those reasons mine are vaccinated.

It is often the only time a dog attends the vets in their lives so I encourage people to have them as I think at least one check up a year is good for a dog as they may find other things going on that would otherwise remain hidden.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2019, 01:33 PM

i am amazed that you have seen 'several ' victims .
If they are puppies they will be very ill indeed and hardly walking the streets .
If they are adult dogs they will show very few symptoms at all.
Kennel cough is not a dangerous disease and most dogs recover with no treatment at all .

One theory on Parvovirus

Parvovirus: This disease didn't exist prior to the 1970s. In fact, scientists tell us it was created by vaccine manufacturers who cultured the distemper vaccine on cat kidneys that were infected with feline enteritis. This cat-enteritis-diseased distemper vaccine was then injected into dogs, and parvovirus suddenly reared its ugly head around the world at the same time. A naturally occurring epidemic would spread slowly across continents. Parvovirus appeared with a big bang, in line with multi-national vaccine companies distribution policies.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Last time I had dog insurance, they stated they would not pay out if the dog's illness was a disease they could have been vaccinated against.

They would still pay out for anything else, assuming you had full cover.
I wouldn't risk it myself in that case. But I do think that there needs to be a general review of how often dogs need vaccinations. My pets haven't had any adverse effects but unnecessary trips to the vet are traumatic and create phobias.

The other medication that I would like a review of is advocate. I am not convinced that this is great for pets at the prescribed intervals. My current vet is pretty relaxed but the old money-grabbing vet would constantly badger about advocate repeat prescriptions.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 01:07 AM

Annie, some interesting observations from dog owners, instead of vets who flog this product, have a flick through here:

https://www.labradorforums.co.uk/25-...-prinovox.html

Just came across this on another information site too Annie.

Cons to Using Advocate

One of the cons to using any medication is the potential for side-effects and a negative reaction to the product itself. Some dogs may develop irritation at the site of the application. On the other hand, there is also the possibility that, although rare, a hypersensitive dog can have a neurological reaction. It is important to take the time to discuss this and all medications with your veterinarian before administering them and to make yourself aware of any possible side effects and their symptoms.

Another downside is that you cannot buy Advocate for dogs without a prescription. Since this product contains the heartworm prevention medicine, it is dangerous to give this to your dog without a negative heartworm test. Therefore, you will have to get a prescription from your veterinarian before you can purchase Advocate online or elsewhere.

A third negative to this product is that although it protects against fleas, it does not protect against ticks. Dogs that live in rural areas or those places where ticks are more prevalent may be better off to use another product that includes tick prevention. Alternately, you could add a different product like a tick collar to prevent the ticks. Be sure to discuss adding any other product with your Vet in order to avoid any problems with multiple product combinations.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 01:53 AM

Some of those comments are a bit worrying Mups, particularly the owner who says the stuff had the same effect as paint stripper!

I try to avoid applying too often, but the two cats pass on all sorts to Teddy when they go gallivanting in the gardens. He was quite distressed with something biting him recently so I applied it. He seems ok and is no longer itchy, but I do wonder how he feels inside. Of course dogs can't talk except with their eyes. He seems ok. One of the cats actually jumped when she heard the cap coming off. It works but at what cost.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 10:34 AM

I have read of quite a few people who say it seems to sting and burn when they put it on, and I do know one chap (a doctor,) who shows his Beddies and was very angry because it made the hair die and drop out on the back of his dog's neck. He had paid to enter his dog in some forthcoming shows, but couldn't take him with the bald patch. He reckons it took months to regrow.

I have also read of cases where a cancerous lump has formed at the site of contact too.

The only thing we can do, is read as much as possible about all these products - not just the advertising blah by the people flogging it - and then make the best judgement we can.

I am also not happy though how products have evolved from just a simple wormer, to ones that do all sorts of worms, some rarely even seen in this country, plus fleas plus ticks. It is all about 'convenience.' But how hard, honestly, is it to do separate treatments, spread out over a period of time, instead of hitting them all in one go with these nasty chemicals.

Surely if a product treats internal worms when you spot it onto the skin, that is proof it must be absorbed internally and not just stay on the skin surface.
I do not like these multi-purpose products.
People can argue as much as they want, and it is only my personal opinion, but I will not do it to my dogs.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 11:03 AM

I do vaccinate Chloe, she is on the 3 year protocol with a yearly leptospirosis vaccine which I wouldn't have if I had a couch potato dog but I walk through land and streams frequented by rats. We have had a few cases of lepto locally.

I also take Chloe on holiday with the family to 'dog friendly' accommodation and it is stipulated your dog must be vaccinated.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
i am amazed that you have seen 'several ' victims .
If they are puppies they will be very ill indeed and hardly walking the streets .
If they are adult dogs they will show very few symptoms at all.
Kennel cough is not a dangerous disease and most dogs recover with no treatment at all .

One theory on Parvovirus

Parvovirus: This disease didn't exist prior to the 1970s. In fact, scientists tell us it was created by vaccine manufacturers who cultured the distemper vaccine on cat kidneys that were infected with feline enteritis. This cat-enteritis-diseased distemper vaccine was then injected into dogs, and parvovirus suddenly reared its ugly head around the world at the same time. A naturally occurring epidemic would spread slowly across continents. Parvovirus appeared with a big bang, in line with multi-national vaccine companies distribution policies.
Well thanks for trying to make me look like I am lying again. Yes I have seen several, I have worked in rescue for over 30 years, puppies adult dogs we never know what is coming in or how ill they will be. For a long time we saw very few victims but as people are not vaccinating so much these days figures are rising again, back in the early 80s we saw a lot of sick dogs and it's nearly as bad again now. Some people can't afford to vaccinate and some just don't bother. As I have fostered I keep mine vaccinated against anything they may meet. If a parvo case comes in we can't foster for 12 months and have to clean completely I don't want to do that too often so people IMO should be made to vaccinate or they just pass problems on to others.

Medical exceptions would be few.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top