Join for free
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:13 PM

France and Germany sign treaty

What does new treaty mean.Why was it necessary? Could mercedes and BMW start making tiger tanks and U boats now that the car sales are shrinking? Why didn't they extend the treaty to the other EU members?Four questions,any answers anyone?Donkeyman.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:20 PM

Re: France and Germany sign treaty

I was reading about this the other day ...

France and Germany agree to establish common positions and issue joint statements on major EU issues - formalising their existing co-operation. They also plan to act as a joint force at the United Nations.

From foreign policy to internal and external security, the two nations commit to coming up with common positions while seeking to bolster "Europe's capacity to act autonomously".

The two countries commit to:

Deepening economic integration with a Franco-German "economic zone"
Developing Europe's military capabilities, investing together to "fill gaps in capacity, thereby reinforcing" the EU and Nato
The possibility of joint military deployments as well as a Franco-German defence and security council
For young people, there is agreement to focus on cultural exchanges and increase learning of each other's languages, with the aim of a Franco-German university.

There are also plans for closer cross-border links and greater "bilingualism" on both sides of the borders.
France and Germany agree to establish common positions and issue joint statements on major EU issues - formalising their existing co-operation. They also plan to act as a joint force at the United Nations.

From foreign policy to internal and external security, the two nations commit to coming up with common positions while seeking to bolster "Europe's capacity to act autonomously".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46908205
What does it mean....
My guess is they are seeking to strengthen their position and power at the 'head' of the EU in preparation for a close federal EU

Also in simple terms 'you scratch my back and I will scratch yours'.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:31 PM

First I’ve heard about it but at face value I’d imagine as macron and Angela are the only pair actually still pro Eu out of the 28 prisoners that possibly they see the writing on the wall as the EU nitemare starts to crumble ?
As for military wise the German military is simply a non force a insignificant thing for many many reasons going all the way back to ww2 ..
France however does have a military and if the EU did go then these pair are trying to tie themselves together both politically and economically and that may not be such a bad thing as together they have ruled the Eu at every other nations cost ( ask Greece and Italy for details ) and maybe they are thinking it isn’t worth them paying forever to support Albania ( about to join) and other countries ‘forever’ when we leave scenario but if they start intertwining now and considering the Germans are easiest led /fooled populace in Europe then yes the two biggest powers /economies in Europe getting together now before the boat sinks may be a worthwhile thing as let’s face it if everyone put aside their stay /leave argument and looked honestly at Europe EVERYONE would have to agree if the Eu had never been formed but knowing what we do today then not a single person out of its 500,000,000 inhabitants would say ‘ let’s all join together and call it the EU and we will all be ruled by unelected officials forever ‘ .... yeah right !!!

So with the way the world is , the way Europe is I would bet they are thinking France Germany together would be the strongest power in a Europe without the EU ( that they control ) and are laying the groundwork

Ps I suggest someone sends a private message to the head of airbus industries and tells him not to bother moving his aeroplane factory from here to Slovakia or wherever he mentioned
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:32 PM

It just goes to prove what France and Germany think of the rest of the EU.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 12:49 PM

So it's a sort of EU inside of the EU?...It sounds a bit cliquey to me. How are the rest of the countries in the EU going to view this?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 01:04 PM

The EU was always really just a small group of megalomaniacs posing as a wider European collective.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The EU was always really just a small group of megalomaniacs posing as a wider European collective.
Yes Realist, true colours showing through now.....
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 01:31 PM

First I've heard of it, too, but it sounds as though they're getting ready for when the whole EU shebang collapses
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
First I’ve heard about it but at face value I’d imagine as macron and Angela are the only pair actually still pro Eu out of the 28 prisoners that possibly they see the writing on the wall as the EU nitemare starts to crumble ?
As for military wise the German military is simply a non force a insignificant thing for many many reasons going all the way back to ww2 ..
France however does have a military and if the EU did go then these pair are trying to tie themselves together both politically and economically and that may not be such a bad thing as together they have ruled the Eu at every other nations cost ( ask Greece and Italy for details ) and maybe they are thinking it isn’t worth them paying forever to support Albania ( about to join) and other countries ‘forever’ when we leave scenario but if they start intertwining now and considering the Germans are easiest led /fooled populace in Europe then yes the two biggest powers /economies in Europe getting together now before the boat sinks may be a worthwhile thing as let’s face it if everyone put aside their stay /leave argument and looked honestly at Europe EVERYONE would have to agree if the Eu had never been formed but knowing what we do today then not a single person out of its 500,000,000 inhabitants would say ‘ let’s all join together and call it the EU and we will all be ruled by unelected officials forever ‘ .... yeah right !!!

So with the way the world is , the way Europe is I would bet they are thinking France Germany together would be the strongest power in a Europe without the EU ( that they control ) and are laying the groundwork

Ps I suggest someone sends a private message to the head of airbus industries and tells him not to bother moving his aeroplane factory from here to Slovakia or wherever he mentioned
Thanks Marmaduke,l had already figured most of it out but you cleared up acouple of points for me. Donkeyman.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2019, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I was reading about this the other day ...

What does it mean....
My guess is they are seeking to strengthen their position and power at the 'head' of the EU in preparation for a close federal EU

Also in simple terms 'you scratch my back and I will scratch yours'.
Was it ever thus. Both countries had pretty much secured their dominance when the EU was a trading bloc known as the EEC. It was only until after they got their own respective economies enjoying the benefits did they allow other countries to apply. Despite begging and pleading by Ted Heath to be allowed to join, De Gaulle kept on repeating his mantra of `Non` until the CAP was sorted out in France's favour. A pity Heath didn't listen to De Gaulle and keep us out.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top