Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 02:44 AM

Re: Feeding Birds

Since I came back home ( have been away for a few weeks) so maybe they got out of their routine actually on reflection while the builders were here they didnt come so much either .
I supose I will have to build up their trust again .
Got a few more today .
Noted
One thrush
Some chaffinchs
A coal tit
One rook ( I was having about 40 before)
Some wood pigeons and two doves
A few sparrows.

Notably absent blue /great and long tailed tits .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 07:07 AM

Hi

My night vision cameras are working and now we are are above freezing the water sprinklers are on again.

Sod the cats. I like my birds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Since I came back home ( have been away for a few weeks) so maybe they got out of their routine actually on reflection while the builders were here they didnt come so much either .
I supose I will have to build up their trust again .
Got a few more today .
Noted
One thrush
Some chaffinchs
A coal tit
One rook ( I was having about 40 before)
Some wood pigeons and two doves
A few sparrows.

Notably absent blue /great and long tailed tits .

Ah, bet you're right then, it is because they have got used to the cafe being closed, so stopped calling in. No doubt the builders clomping about would have upset their routine too.

Sounds like you have a nice selection visiting again though, so I reckon they will spread the word now.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
i used to have loads of birds coming to my garden to feed however since I had some building work last year they seem to have been put off entirely .
Not that I blame them my builders would make anyone take flight if they could .
How can I entice them back ?
I have feeders/tables etc the same as before .
I've been told by the council rodent man that I have to stop feeding the birds here & remove all feeders & food.
I spotted two rats on the patio eating the bird food over several days & called the council. They sent the man, but he can't use poison as there's nowhere to hide it safely from other animals. He said the council can stop me feeding the birds if I don't do it voluntarily. Great! All my neighbours feed the birds too, but he said if the rats don't go & multiply then they'll be blamed & I won't. I wish I'd just left it & never called them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I've been told by the council rodent man that I have to stop feeding the birds here & remove all feeders & food.
I spotted two rats on the patio eating the bird food over several days & called the council. They sent the man, but he can't use poison as there's nowhere to hide it safely from other animals. He said the council can stop me feeding the birds if I don't do it voluntarily. Great! All my neighbours feed the birds too, but he said if the rats don't go & multiply then they'll be blamed & I won't. I wish I'd just left it & never called them.

The food will inevitable encourage rats, I agree.

I have had them in the past, and I remember Muddy saying she had too.

We happily put the food out, intending it to be for the birds, but other animals don't know that and must think they have found a treasure trove.

Unfortunately, the same applies to putting down rat bait.
It is made so palatable deliberately, but then other creatures as well as rats will also eat it.
Even the birds, owls, frogs, and hedgehogs we all love will eat the slugs, snails and mice that have digested the poison.

Some have heard all this from me before, but my oldest dog spent the night on a drip at the vets, not exected to live till morning, because although the bait had been properly placed inside bait boxes, we think she had eaten mice that had eaten the rat bait.

She was vomitting blood badly, because the bait thins the blood and stops it clotting, and the animal bleeds to death.

My girl was lucky, she pulled through thank God, but I won't have bait anywhere near my place since.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 05:45 PM

I have stopped feeding the birds, due to our rat problem, man from council said it's the only way. So very reluctantly this is what I have done. Gave the bird food to Daughters Partner, they don't seem to have rats where they are, not yet anyway.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 11:01 PM

feeding birds has for a long time been a no no - it's a habit of humans who feel they need to do this to satisfy their own needs - let nature take it's own course fgs

I feed the birds because I like them to come and see me each day and I have a relationship with them - yes selfish one bar humbug or is that gumbud?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-02-2019, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
feeding birds has for a long time been a no no - it's a habit of humans who feel they need to do this to satisfy their own needs - let nature take it's own course fgs

I feed the birds because I like them to come and see me each day and I have a relationship with them - yes selfish one bar humbug or is that gumbud?

..... deleted .. error.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
..... deleted .. error.
I would never refer to you as a deleted....error Mups - I'm too much of a gentleman!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->

Yes.We feed all ours and give them names.We were living away for six months and they all managed to survive without us.It didn't take them long before they realized we were back home though

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top