Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 06:12 PM

Re: Church Interiors, bits 'n bobs - an open thread.

I haven't got any pictures of churches, but I love looking in churches - and smelling them, the ornate carvings, woodwork, brickwork etc and feeling the 'aura'. What a great thread. Some gorgeous pictures! Shame we can't smell them though
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 08:08 PM

Thank Omar

and toners ...
Originally Posted by toners ->
A friend of mine liked photographing different architectural features on the windows of old buildings. Unfortunately he was temporarily detained and questioned by the police who thought that he might be a burglar photographing potential access points.
I've often felt a bit uneasy hanging around in undergrowth with a long lens- stalking wildlife that is!
I've been we welcomed by the clergy and the cleaning ladies while lurking in the pews .... plus the nod from fellow togers.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I haven't got any pictures of churches, but I love looking in churches - and smelling them, the ornate carvings, woodwork, brickwork etc and feeling the 'aura'. What a great thread. Some gorgeous pictures! Shame we can't smell them though
They are glorious ... I can quite happily spend a couple of hours casing the joint for a photo or two.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

20-02-2019, 08:16 PM

a couple more from St Mary Abbot's ... that's the same place I was at yesterday.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 08:40 PM

Lovely photos!
I need to visit more churches!
But I'm still suffering from the last bolt of lightning...
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

21-02-2019, 07:41 AM

Lovely photos!

I need to visit more churches!

yes please

But I'm still suffering from the last bolt of lightning...

wooo ... lightning bolts, bring it on ... loving a good photo op.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 10:35 AM

What a lovely thread. I really enjoy looking at all the different art and craftwork. Stonemasons, carpenters, joiners, glaziers, it's all black arts to me. I liked the piccy of the lock as well. This might have been made by a clockmaker as the technology was similar.

Here's a few of mine.

Hunky Punks on a Zumerzet church. They are purely decorative Grotesques as opposed to functional Gargoyles, possibly to keep bad spirits at bay.

Druid church in Wiltshire.

Belfry of the church where I was wed.

My Lovely Cousin playing with a furry caterpillar in the church where we were wed.

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 11:02 AM

St Peter's church, Castle Park Bristol following a visit from the Luftwaffe that tore out the whole of the city centre, now kept as a War Memorial.

Inside St Mary Redcliffe church, Bristol, a model of the Matthew celebrating the city's nautical heritage.

Continuing the nautical theme with this boat shaped font.

Complex decorative ceiling.

Room divider.

The most excellent Arc café in the church undercroft. It's run for and by recovering addicts to help them get into employment, and offers locally sourced food.

A piece of tram track in the churchyard that was blown clean over a row of houses one night during WW2, and left where it landed as a memorial.

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

21-02-2019, 11:22 AM

Excellent Fruitcake.

I love vaulted ceilings.

And your first two remind me of a pic I took a couple of years ago at a very old round church in the City of London:

Church of the Knights Templar

d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

21-02-2019, 08:23 PM

... been back to the same place - St Mary Abbots - today ...

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top