Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 12:49 AM

Re: Benidorm suffers HUGE drop in British Tourists.

Ah Marmaris, home of the cheap "Rolex".
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Ah Marmaris, home of the cheap "Rolex".
Haha yes. And those handbags with Westies on lol
Funny thing is I bought a bottle of "Armani" aftershave there 15 years ago and it still hasn't ran out. It's endless! Actually it's pretty decent quality for fake cologne!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 02:02 AM

I haven't been. I've no idea what the appeal is as when I was growing up it was already a cliche. So I don't even know anyone who has been. Wasn't it a 70s thing? While home from home has an appeal, it's nice to go somewhere without an English pub.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
A colleague at work has just returned from Benidorm and said the people were very friendly.
Not quite Benidorm but I just booked a cheeky wee break in Menorca for first week of May.

Tbh it was a bargain price so I can't complain.

I prefer Greece to Spain on the whole but Menorca is particularly lovely and only 3 hrs flight from Newcastle/Edinburgh.

I, for one, am happy to pay the 'tourist tax' . because our presence on these islands does have a negative impact on the environment.

I'll not slag off the people of a country for the actions of it's Gov't or a few extremists...........
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Not quite Benidorm but I just booked a cheeky wee break in Menorca for first week of May.

Tbh it was a bargain price so I can't complain.

I prefer Greece to Spain on the whole but Menorca is particularly lovely and only 3 hrs flight from Newcastle/Edinburgh.

I, for one, am happy to pay the 'tourist tax' . because our presence on these islands does have a negative impact on the environment.

I'll not slag off the people of a country for the actions of it's Gov't or a few extremists...........

Moscow, I too have been to the tiny island of Menorca several times over the years, and agree wholeheartedly with you that it is particularly beautiful there. We have stayed in both Son Bou and Cala Galdana and could not fault either. The locals there were indeed very welcoming.

My gripe lies with Majorca itself, the Spanish government and as you say, the extremist groups. Maybe they thought their stupid antics would make no difference with the hundreds of thousands of Brits that always visited, now they know differently. The British will take only so much of being used as a punchbag for Spain's pathetic attempt at belittling us, but thankfully, the drastic downturn in tourism figures shows that we are not prepared to put up with being bullied. Brits have obviously decided to take our tourism elsewhere where we and our exchange Euros are welcomed.
No sympathy whatsoever. Bite the hand that feeds your economy and pay the price.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It's not my sort of holiday either tbh.
I know there are many things to do for 'older' people but it's geared towards younger folk. Every country has these places designed as tourist trasps for binge drinkers: Marmaris, Malia, Aiya Napa, Blackpool.....Not my sort of scene anymore I'm afraid. I like a few beers now and then but I know my limits these days.
I know Playa De Las Americas in Tenerife is sometimes roped in with that lot but it's only one notorious area, The Vernonica Straight that attracts those folk. The rest of the country is beautiful and I've been there several times. Also, the Spanish people in Tenerife are always very friendly towards the Brits
Me neither mate.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 11:28 AM

And it seems Spain wants even fewer British visitors

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-Brexit.html
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 11:42 AM

Pity, I love Spain and the Spanish people, although like Floydy and others Benidorm has never been my cup of tea.
Why can't the Spanish see that us coming out of the EU has got nothing to do with our love of the people and countries of Europe, it's the bloodsucking bureaucratic waste of space that the EU has become.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 12:37 PM

Let's be honest. Most people holiday in Spain because it's sunny and cheap. There are other sunny places we can visit if the Spanish want to get stroppy about it. I'm not sure what else they have to offer apart from salmonella salad.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2019, 02:15 PM

Well I live in Spain and the people are great

There health system is second to none and as for Gib which my wife visits every month there are more Spaniards work there than La Linea and if the Spanish took it back they would all be out of a job so that is never going to happen

Can't speak for Benidorm as I have never been but Marbs no problem and more Brits are buying here than ever before along with Norwegians not many Germans oh but loads of Russians that nice Mr Putin has a gaff at the back of us bigger underground than above

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top