Join for free
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Unsure
UK
Unsure is male  Unsure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 06:07 PM

Is anyone looking forward to USA Food?

I've heard one advantage of Brexit is that we can do free trade deals with other non EU countries. The USA is often cited as an example where we can have much cheaper food such as chicken, meats and vegetables.

Being larger and less regulated I suppose they can make large volumes of food for much cheaper than the UK or even EU?
On the other side I've heard the USA record with chlorinated chicken, hormone injected beef and general animal welfare could be an issue. Has anyone got firm views on this?
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 06:18 PM

Re: Is anyone looking forward to USA Food?

No! Not unless you want to be overweight with their huge portions. And huge breakfasts as well.

Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 06:34 PM

I can't think of anything worse.

I haven't eaten chicken for years because of the cruelty involved. If people want it even cheaper than it is now, then that means even more cruelty or ghastly chemical practices.

Who wants to eat ghastly meat that has had all sorts done to it?

And by the way, this chicken and beef, that is so cheap, is likely to be far less nutritious than you think it is.

Meat is far fattier than it was 50 years ago, mainly because the animals aren't running around like they used to, so it is a lot less healthy.

In any event, only about 10% of our diet needs to be animal protein, and we already eat far more than that.

No wonder there is an obesity crisis.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 06:43 PM

Funny how people are so up on arms about chlorine washed chicken but when they go over there they have no problem eating it.

Lower food prices in the UK has to be good for the country we have been ripped of because of the CAP for far too long.

Bring on the spray on cheese !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 06:44 PM

I am particular about were my food comes from - and would not touch anything from USA, France, China and quite a few other places.

The shops I use all sell locally sourced produce and I am happy with that.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
No! Not unless you want to be overweight with their huge portions. And huge breakfasts as well.
We'd be importing food products, not prepared meals.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Unsure ->
I've heard one advantage of Brexit is that we can do free trade deals with other non EU countries. The USA is often cited as an example where we can have much cheaper food such as chicken, meats and vegetables.

Being larger and less regulated I suppose they can make large volumes of food for much cheaper than the UK or even EU?
On the other side I've heard the USA record with chlorinated chicken, hormone injected beef and general animal welfare could be an issue. Has anyone got firm views on this?
My wife would be quite happy with that.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 06:51 PM

Haven't we already got US food? We're swamped with various burger bars, multiple coffee shops and fried chicken outlets already so what will change?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 07:11 PM

That's the cool thing about having a free market. If you dont want to eat this food or that food you dont have to.

Nobody is forcing anyone to eat something they dont want to.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2019, 08:08 PM

We already have very cheap, plentiful and good quality food here. Why would we want our farmers to have even more problems with cheap, shoddy imports when they will have enough to deal with?

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top