Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 07:51 AM

Re: Football Rant

Rockrider, ' Get a life ', 'Get a Life '!!!.

Some people have a life and that is to follow football, who are you to say what a person should do with 'THEIR ' life.

We all have a choice of how we live our lives and what pursuits we choose to follow.

I love most sports and anyot watching them although having played football most of my younger life and been paid for doing so I now find that it is not the same sport that I grew up with, like most sports Money has spoilt it.

Cycling used to be a quiet past time but now has been turned into a professional sport with lots of money being poured into it and cyclists doing anything, including drugs, to win.

Everyone has a choice to make in their life as to how they want to live it, it is not for others to tell them how to live it, others can only advise.

We are not all sports enthusiasts and some people dont like sport being televised, OK dont watch it, there are other programs to watch or there is a small button that turns the TV off, no-one is being compelled to watch any sport.

I am fed up of watching morons damaging this country so I am switching the media off today. You could to if you dont want to watch something.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote AB...I am switching the media off today....why
bother AB the troubles will still be there when you switch
back on,sadly it will not make the troubles disappear.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
back on
,sadly it will not make the troubles disappear.
I can see what your implying but, when AB and I switch back, the media will have moved on to something else which they see as more dramatic or more likely to gain viewers (and thus advertising revenue and in the end pay their wages)

The one thing the media is not good at is continuity, some of the worlds problems will not be solved overnight it needs people to constantly think about and work over them but in the media world that would be boring and anyway not many people have the desire to analyse troubles let alone do anything about them.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2011, 04:45 PM

The point of this thread was football - love it or hate it and I'm not a fan at all. In fact I rarely ever watch any sports BUT I appreciate that some do get enjoyment from football and do get rather het-up about it but that's fine by me. Live and let live.
Someone made a comment about big business and that is true but it's not just sport, it's everything these days. Even Residential Homes for the elderly are run for profit!

I don't really know when this all started but I think that it was around about the same time that salaries began to spiral out of control so the relentless quest for more and more and more profits is simply filling management coffers and not benefiting the general public and / or society in general. It's a bit like a return to feudalism and some claim it all started in the days of the Yuppies - greed is good etcetera and that would be the early Eighties - the 1987 stock market crash and the early 1990s recession put paid to them in popular culture but they're still there but now they're senior managers, bankers, directors, CEOs and chairmen of major companies.
I personally think that the big business side of football has spoiled it in some ways because players used to want to play for certain teams but now they pick who pays the most money. Years ago, in Doha, Qatar I went along to the National stadium to see a friendly between England and Qatar.
When the England side came on my Arab mate turned to me and asked if this was really the England team because they were 75% black players so I had to explain that to him but I did wonder about that myself, like athletics - where are all the white guys?

What I think is wrong with UK Football is the employment of foreign players and the limited opportunities for home-grown talent. A few years back I saw some 11 year olds in a Junior Sunday League playing and I was absolutely astounded at the level of skill. I went with a mate because he wanted to show-off his son's abilities but 5 minutes there convinced me - they were ALL brilliant.
He told me that he was prepared to go deep into debt if necessary to give his son a shot at the big-time and he wasn't the only one there saying the same thing but they all agreed that clubs taking on foreign players reduced their chances by 75% and that's sad.
So, finally, I've got to say it; if all you football fans got together and started supporting and pushing for the home talent for your clubs instead of imported players that would be a great thing to do for UK football. stevmk2
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
back on,sadly it will not make the troubles disappear.
Yes, the troubles will still be there but I dont have to watch them.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Yes, the troubles will still be there but I dont have to watch them.
Neither do I - I sometimes feel it would be a better world if all the trouble makers were isolated and unable to communicate with each other.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

10-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Years ago, in Doha, Qatar I went along to the National stadium to see a friendly between England and Qatar.
When the England side came on my Arab mate turned to me and asked if this was really the England team because they were 75% black players so I had to explain that to him but I did wonder about that myself, like athletics - where are all the white guys?

What I think is wrong with UK Football is the employment of foreign players and the limited opportunities for home-grown talent. A few years back I saw some 11 year olds in a Junior Sunday League playing and I was absolutely astounded at the level of skill. I went with a mate because he wanted to show-off his son's abilities but 5 minutes there convinced me - they were ALL brilliant.
He told me that he was prepared to go deep into debt if necessary to give his son a shot at the big-time and he wasn't the only one there saying the same thing but they all agreed that clubs taking on foreign players reduced their chances by 75% and that's sad.
So, finally, I've got to say it; if all you football fans got together and started supporting and pushing for the home talent for your clubs instead of imported players that would be a great thing to do for UK football. stevmk2
Interesting post Martin, If I may call you that.
You make some fair and valid points but I do have to ask what relevance is the colour of a players skin to do with his or hers ability to represent our country? Surely if the person was born in England and is good enough, that is all the information we need.

You might be interested to know that since the alleged 'colour bar' was lifted back in 1978 and up till quite recently 63 players of colour have worn the England shirt. That means one in every four players was non-white, hardly the 75% you mention.
You ask "where are all the white guys?", maybe they just don't want it bad enough, I can assure you that if any player in this country has the ability they will be spotted and taken on.

Regarding the home grown talent and imported players, coaches and managers,
We fans of the game have for an awful long time bemoaned the influx of players from abroad and viewed their presence here as detrimental to our International status. Is that really the case? or is it a convenient excuse for the lack of our success?

We have to ask, has the standard of football in this country become better from playing with and against foreign players and under foreign coaches? one would have to say yes, even though it hurts to admit it. If we outlawed imported players and coaches would the void left be adequately filled by home grown talent? I don't believe it would. It is somewhat academic though, as you rightly say the game is big business and the English Premier League brand sells big abroad in its present makeup so I cannot see this changing.

The real facts are that we have never learned to change, way back in 1953 we were thrashed by Hungary 6-3 and players like Puskas, Bosik and Hidegkuti ran rings round us. Our mighty team under Walter Winterbottom were given a lesson in new techniques and tactics. This defeat did have an effect as we immediately adopted the 'continental' way. Alf Ramsey who played in that game used it to great success in 66 and to a lesser degree in 70 but we have not altered a lot since then when others have.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top