Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 06:16 AM

Accents in films etc.,

Inspired by Cinderella's thread about Philomena. Why do the film/tv/stage industries insist on spoiling films by using actors who cannot change their accents? Philomena being one example - great film - good actress (Judi Dench) in the leading role - but her Irish accent was abysmal. Why not use an Irish actress?

Same with 'Michael Collins' and 'Mary Reilly' - featuring Julia Roberts - again, a good actress, good films, but spoiled by her rubbish Irish accent.

If the role requires a particular accent - why not simply use someone of that nationality?

Why cannot actors change accents these days? Is it because they are not taught their trade properly or what?

Admittedly some can and do a good job - James Mason, Meryl Streep, Jon Pertwee come to mind, and David Tennant - who has a lovely Scottish accent - can lose it completely if the role demands it. Why cannot others do the same?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 09:09 AM

Re: Accents in films etc.,

Sean Connery.....The only Russian sub commander with a Scottish accent.
I'm not sure if that was the film makers or Connery's laziness

Having said that, if they'd really wanted it to be authentic they would have insisted on the actors speaking Russian.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 10:13 AM

One of the reasons Maxine Peake was such a joy to watch in Three Girls, for once she was able to use her natural accent!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 02:49 PM

Sometimes I can deal with the accents although there are some real shockers out there . But OH has noticed in general that American actors are becoming harder to understand these days as they all tend to mumble regardless of the accent they are trying to achieve.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Sean Connery.....The only Russian sub commander with a Scottish accent.
I'm not sure if that was the film makers or Connery's laziness

Having said that, if they'd really wanted it to be authentic they would have insisted on the actors speaking Russian.
Same with all Connery's films - he plays himself. Remember his Spaniard in Highlander? A strange film that, a Frog playing a Scotsman and a Scotsman playing a Spaniard.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Hi

Amazing isn't it that all those who saved us in WW2 had American Accents?

Apologies to Rehab and his Jackanory statements.

Never get in front of the Yanks.

Stay behind the Brits and be safe.

Yes, I am a cowardly custard, quite happy to admit it.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Hugh Grant not only has a singular accent in all his films, he also plays the same character as well. He's the most non-versatile "actor" I have ever come across tbh.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 05:30 PM

Yet i like the way some off Shakespears works have been spoken in the language we use today. For me that has a more realistic feel to it rather than the im an actooooooor speak.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hugh Grant not only has a singular accent in all his films, he also plays the same character as well. He's the most non-versatile "actor" I have ever come across tbh.
Very true!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2017, 08:23 PM

Actors might be typecast because they fit a stereotype. Irish accent can vary due to regional dialects. It must be difficult to portray a person still living, and assume an actor taking such a role would meet the individual to accurately represent them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top