Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 06:19 PM

On talking in public

Sometime today my girl friend was due to speak in public. Although she is a teacher a lesson is not quite the same.

My advice to her-at least have some idea of what you are talking about,never try a joke,wait before you start-5-10 seconds-it builds tension.

And finally---if you cannot dazzle them with science baffle them with bullshit.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 06:22 PM

Re: On talking in public

I have done quite a bit of public speaking over the years. You must know your topic inside out and back to front, and present it in a way, which interests your listeners.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 06:29 PM

What subjects were you speaking about Tarantula?
And what about your girlfriend OG?
I've addressed conferences and it is scary but quite liberating in some ways. I couldn't imagine doing it on a topic I wasn't a 100% sure of
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 06:31 PM

I've had to do this a few times - I usually start by saying
Hello - I'm Patsy and I'm an alcoholic
Usually gets some giggles, then I proceed to the serious stuff
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 06:34 PM

And now the same question to you Patsy!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
What subjects were you speaking about Tarantula?
And what about your girlfriend OG?
I've addressed conferences and it is scary but quite liberating in some ways. I couldn't imagine doing it on a topic I wasn't a 100% sure of
My post war childhood is a popular topic.

I have given talks about my digital artwork.

Our previous property was allegedly haunted, and the weirdest activity took place there. I gave a number of talks about this. I was always careful to stress that my husband (a scientist) and I thought there was a natural explanation for the activity, even if we couldn't come up with one. The media had a field day and several films were made including one commissioned by the Foreign Office. I still can't work out why they should be interested!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
And now the same question to you Patsy!
Mostly putting 'Management' in their place by knowing 'more' than I should
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 07:47 PM

Been asked a few times to give talks at local wildlife groups,but im not for the spotlight, made my excuses and exit stage left.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

06-03-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Been asked a few times to give talks at local wildlife groups,but im not for the spotlight, made my excuses and exit stage left.
I know what you mean Nom, I nearly backed out of my first one.
I think it's a bit like teaching though in that you can "act" confidence.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 08:14 PM

I can talk to anyone. I can walk into a crowded room or party and be confident to talk to anyone, even to strangers.
Put me on a stage and tell me to talk to a large audience and I would die on the spot!
My brother is the opposite and loves to talk to huge audiences at conferences.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top