Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2016, 09:14 PM

Re: Google Chrome

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Okay Pesta, listen up!
On my desktop PC I'm still running Vista and for weeks - nay months - I have been receiving a message from Google telling me that XP and Vista no longer receive updates from Google.
I've just been and fired it up and guess what?
Google is still in it's original colours and format.....

This means that you are constantly receiving updates from Google and they can do what they like. The only difference is; depending which operating system you are using will depend on how the download is interpreted. Bloody downloads, get em' switched off. I have and they've never done me any harmmmmmmmmm hsyr ksaoe bbb nmdiwe aslft...
Thanks for your post too OGF.

The only other sad old working computer (that vaguely works after a fashion and a lot of cranking), runs Vista. It's so slow it's nigh on useless. TBH I hated Vista. I just keep old photos on it and old CVs 'n' stuff from the past.

The XP computer that I still have black screened about 4 or 5 yrs ago, otherwise I'd still be chugging along with that one! Loved that one!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2016, 09:14 PM

There isn't much point in using Incognito mode unless you are on a network or sharing a computer.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2016, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
There isn't much point in using Incognito mode unless you are on a network or sharing a computer.
Maybe not Purwell, but I just prefer it TBH
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

20-09-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
Try windows 10 , if its still there you can go back to 8 i think. I have 10 and no prob Only prob a had was they wanted to upgrade 10, after about 5 mins of download all sorts of things were happening so i just stopped the download .
Nah.....I want to stick to W8 till it's absolutely necessary that I have to change to W10...or if this laptop goes belly up and I get lumbered with W10.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I'm running Chrome 64-bit version 53.0.2785.116 m. Nothing dark or grey about the appearance on my computer. You could just check that the default theme is being used. Go into Chrome's settings and look for the 'Appearance' heading. Press the button that says, 'Reset to default theme'.

The 'i' (for 'information') is normal for sites that are not https. As far as I know, this forum and many others never have been 'secure' (https) sites. Passers-by can also read posts without being logged in members.

So long as secure sites have the padlock showing and say 'https', that would be right and something that should not have changed.

The situation is much the same in Firefox.
Mart is perfectly correct.

I'm using the same version of Chrome on Windows 10 and find that I have the 'i' symbol on all of the five tabbed fora I have. On the other hand, I have the padlock symbol on my Virgin Media e-mail, Google search, and Google Calendar tabs.

I think this is to be expected. The latter three I mentioned are all private sites (although I'm not sure about Google search) whereas the others are all publicly accessible fora. I have no concerns about this and I feel that neither should you.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 02:53 PM

6 pages in and I only just saw this thread.

What can I say?

The basic principle of computing, for me, is extremely simple.

You DISABLE the automatic updates of EVERY piece of software on your computer.

That means disabling Widows Updates, Chromeupdates, Java updates, anti-virus (program) updates, and every other software package you have.

NEVER let the software companies control you. YOU stay in control by disabling their updates and only ever allowing the odd one through IF and ONLY IF you know what that update delivers and have a genuine need for it.

Anyone who has updates enabled for all their software, sorry, I cant help you. You WILL get shoved around by software companies esp Microsoft. Your loss.

Also, as always, I highly recommend you disable JAVASCRIPT which will stop pop-ups and adverts appearing and which will prevent websites from running long scripts every time you visit their web pages. The internet will run 10 times faster with Javascript diabled and you will be much safer. On the downside some web page functionality won't work. Generally I can live with that. When I can't such as with online banking, I simple enable Javascript for a few minutes while I do my banking, then disable it again afterwards. Simple, easy, effective, safe as houses.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

That means disabling Widows Updates...
Easier said than done with Windows 10!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Thanks for your post too OGF.

The only other sad old working computer (that vaguely works after a fashion and a lot of cranking), runs Vista. It's so slow it's nigh on useless. TBH I hated Vista. I just keep old photos on it and old CVs 'n' stuff from the past.

The XP computer that I still have black screened about 4 or 5 yrs ago, otherwise I'd still be chugging along with that one! Loved that one!
Pesta, I love Vista, it's faster than a speeding bullet and it gives me no trouble whatsoever. I think your computer is to blame for being slow. And now that Google have withdrawn support for Vista It's always just as I left it when I fire it up....Marvelous!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
6 pages in and I only just saw this thread.

What can I say?

That means disabling Widows Updates, Chromeupdates, Java updates, anti-virus (program) updates, and every other software package you have.

NEVER let the software companies control you. YOU stay in control by disabling their updates and only ever allowing the odd one through IF and ONLY IF you know what that update delivers and have a genuine need for it.

Anyone who has updates enabled for all their software, sorry, I cant help you. You WILL get shoved around by software companies esp Microsoft. Your loss.

Also, as always, I highly recommend you disable JAVASCRIPT which will stop pop-ups and adverts appearing and which will prevent websites from running long scripts every time you visit their web pages. The internet will run 10 times faster with Javascript diabled and you will be much safer. On the downside some web page functionality won't work. Generally I can live with that. When I can't such as with online banking, I simple enable Javascript for a few minutes while I do my banking, then disable it again afterwards. Simple, easy, effective, safe as houses.
Yea, what he said! Absolutely. (well maybe not Javascript)
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 03:49 PM

I see no reason to disable javascript and neither do these people: http://www.howtogeek.com/138865/htg-...le-javascript/

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top