Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2012, 07:36 PM

House acoustics.

We've just had our lounge re-carpeted and the change to the acoustics is amazing. The furniture is back in essentially the same position, the speakers are in the same position - the only slight difference is that the speakers sit on new wooden panels which protect the carpet from the spiked feet.

Not sure what has caused the change, but the improvement in sound from the stereo is great. Does the type of carpet have such an effect on acoustics - or is down to slight changes in the furniture layout?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Re: House acoustics.

George I think it is something to do with the thickness of the underlay and carpet , I noticed a 'mellowing' of sound when I first had a thick new carpet (it is quite old now).
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 10:25 AM

I think Meg is probably right, a new carpet and underlay will be much thicker and therefore reduce the echo and vibration effects of sound generally....
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 02:42 PM

With a hard floor the sound rebounds in all directions, with a carpeted floor the sound is absorbed into the carpet softening the tones..
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 02:53 PM

Actually, it seems to be the other way round - the sound is sharper and more distinct with the new carpet. Very little else has changed in the room so it seems that the carpet has contributed to the change in the acoustics. You get used to the sound of a particular HiFi, particularly the speakers, and you notice when something changes suddenly.

Over all, I really like the new carpet and the improved sound is a bonus.
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2012, 02:57 PM

I think it's the wooden panels, if carpet absorbs the sounds then the panels may deflect the sound around more.
Yorkshireman100
west yorkshire
Yorkshireman100 is male  Yorkshireman100 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 10:58 PM

I have stood my floorstanding KEF speakers on marble slabs for a number of years now.

They have the effect of " decoupling " the units and improving the sound before that they simply stood on the fitted carpet, sound quality is in the ear of the listener so its up to the individual what sounds best.

I run one pair of units at the lounge front plus a sub for music on cd and radio adding a rear pair and center unit for tv 5.1 surround.

All of them being on marble except the center unit.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top