Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 11:52 AM

Re: Man 'Starved' Himself to Cure Diabetes

One of the best diet regimes I've ever encountered is Rosemary Conley's books and fitness DVDs (which I loved doing); the meals she suggests were liked by the whole family and don't taste in the least bit like dieting and puddings are included as few people can go without something naught for too long. Her bread pudding is one of the nicest I've ever tried (wouldn't tell my mum that though ).
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Never found weight watchers much help myself I've never been one for public humiliation being in any way pleasurable so that weighing in was excruciating.

Finding ways to not be hungry have been important on my way to weight loss, cutting out carbs and sugar have stopped me craving the stuff and halved my appetite, then eating more protein stops me being hungry.

I could eat like this forever which I think is the key to losing and hopefully keeping it off.
You know you can do Weight Watchers online.. right? So no humiliation there. I just think their method of not resticting anything, but portion size is the way people should eat. Cutting stuff out of your diet completely is only going to insure you will be binging on it eventually. You have to find a way to be able to indulge and not go overboard. Have a cookie or ice cream but not the whole bag or carton. Small measure portions is the key. Not deprivation.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Before giving advise like that best to check exactly who you are talking to, as a diabetic I need to stay well away from
sugar and keep to low carb, and with my allergies I am very much restricted with what I can consume. I would never give anyone diet advice without checking what their problems are. And having so far lost just over 4 stones I think I know what works for me. Weight watchers is a business I am not propping them up with my hard earned money, I get plenty of free support from digital spy members and from myfitnesspal. Puddings are a thing of the past for me I accept that I will live with it just like I live with never eating anything with a stone, pip or seed. Saying people cannot cut out food groups is crazy when some of us do just that to save our lives.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 02:19 PM

Well everything I was taught and learned from my 30 year practice counseling patients on diet both diabetic and diabetic cardiac patients tells me that diabetics do not need to stay away from carbs. They need carbs just like everyone else. They however must be careful what kind and how many carbs they consume in a day... and even what time they are consumed in some cases. As far as I know the ONLY thing diabetics need to stay away from totally is concentrated sweets. But I think we are saying the same thing so I really don't get your tone...which sounds kind of confrontational to me... I'm certainly not arguing with you... so who exactly are you arguing with?

Kudos to you for your weight loss.. I applaud you. And it's great your own methods are working for you.. What I am saying is that for most people.. if they try to diet by depriving themselves of a specific food or food group will eventually fall off the wagon and binge on it. It is much better to allow yourself small amounts of a craved food than to totally eleviate it from your diet. Which is why WW is so helpful... it teaches a lifestyle change rather than a temporary diet plan. AND by the way...WW has a diabetic program also.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2013, 02:54 PM

And I am guessing WW's scheme is like our NHS scheme which does not seem to help diabetics at all. On the NHS advice I needed medication, on my own research and diet I have been so well under control I am fine. So I know who I believe and it isn't medical practitioners or WW.

Diabetics like me (type 2) can virtually turn around their diagnosis eating very low carb I and several others who have tried this diet prove that. If we follow medical advice we would be on medication for the rest of our lives.

You are coming from a medical back ground which is why I am not impressed I have met too many who have closed their minds and just tell us all the same things because that is all they know, open minds are finding new ways and new ways that work.

Oh and cut a food from your life you eventually stop the craving carbs and sugar being excellent ones to illustrate that.
AudreyII
USA

13-08-2013, 03:28 PM

It is doubtful that anyone can totally cut out carbs and sugar from their diets. If you are talking about concentrated sweets, made from refined sugar like candy and jellies and table sugar.. yes.. BUT sugar is also in most all the foods we eat and are known as simple carbohydrates.. fructose, galactose, lactose and maltose are in just about everything we put in our mouths. Eliminate these and you will starve. Carbohydrates are needed for our body to function. They are broken down into glucose, which is either used for energy or stored for later use. Simple sugars are broken down quickly, producing a rapid increase in blood sugar levels. In contrast, complex carbohydrates take longer to break down and process in the body.

Again... I'm sorry you are not impressed with medical science and glad that your own research has worked so well for you... however you are not doing anything that isn't already recommended in the diabetic regimen. Adjusting size and type of carbohydrate intake to avoid rapid blood sugar spikes... and staying away from refined sugar.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-08-2013, 03:40 PM

I am not suggesting I have eliminated carbs totally go back a few responses and you will see several times I say low carb and also I have two slices of wholemeal bread a day - so clearly not suggesting no carbs at all.

BTW perhaps your health service advocates what I am doing NHS does not. NHS suggests fruit juice with breakfast and potatoes and pasta are on the diet list. About a third carbs per meal is suggested. So that is not what I am doing at all as my bread in the morning is the highest carb meal I eat.

Protein and vegetables for the rest of the day.
AudreyII
USA

13-08-2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I am not suggesting I have eliminated carbs totally go back a few responses and you will see several times I say low carb and also I have two slices of wholemeal bread a day - so clearly not suggesting no carbs at all.

BTW perhaps your health service advocates what I am doing NHS does not. NHS suggests fruit juice with breakfast and potatoes and pasta are on the diet list. About a third carbs per meal is suggested. So that is not what I am doing at all as my bread in the morning is the highest carb meal I eat.

Protein and vegetables for the rest of the day.
Ok Julie... truce... I am not a dietician, nor do I play one on TV.. I'm not sure what the NHS is... is it like our AMA? I think you are doing fine if what you are doing is reducing your weight and keeping your blood sugar undercontrol.... and that is all I think that is important.. However, other diabetics follow different regimens and are doing fine also... in the end that is what matters.. NOT if juice is or isn't on someones breakfast list.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-08-2013, 04:15 PM

NHS = national health service

Juice was an illustration of the amount of sugar they want us to consume, they then give us medication to alleviate the diabetes. To me that is madness. Get the diet right and stop the pills is better IMO. But I don't suggest every diabetic tries it, just found for me it works. Sadly not much testing going on to see if it could work for others because people say you can't cut food groups out of your diet.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 01:51 PM

ben v... i found the same thing ..i was taking statins....different kinds for years....and over time could hardly hold a book...my arms were so weak and sore....also leg muscles ...g p said there was nothing wrong....so i stopped the statins....that was a couple of years ago.....i feel a lot better than i did and i'll never take another statin...

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top