Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 03:40 PM

Re: New Breed of Statins

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not so sure about that pats, GPs seem determined to get us onto certain drugs whether we can live without them or not. Instead of encouraging us to address life style change they reach for the prescription pad.
A sweeping generalisation there Julie, exercise and lifestyle changes are high priority in medicine today.

And if I felt the way you appear to about your GP I would change my doctor.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 03:50 PM

My GP is 8 doctors none of whom seem to consult the notes ever LOL. One I refuse to see now as he refused me surgery on my eye which has since turned out to be cancer. Another I don't see because he left me deaf in one ear because he reckoned my ear ache was weight related ??

One lady doctor is reasonably good but everyone wants to see her so waiting times are very long indeed so if it's not important I book 3-4 weeks ahead, if I am ill I have to take my chances.

Changing to another surgery is not possible they are not taking on new patients especially ones with health problems.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
A sweeping generalisation there, exercise and lifestyle changes are high priority in medicine today.
But that won't cure genetically inherited illnesses and high cholesterol can be one of them (which is the cause of mine, statins didn't alter it one iota) - not all people with high cholesterol have that problem because of diet and lack of exercise. For me, this is the problem with modern medicine - it takes one view and sticks with it regardless of whether it is applicable to a given patient or not and, imo, that is just lazy work practice and can have a tendency to blame the patient for everything if it can.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 12:49 AM

It is a sweeping generalisation. MY GPs both say to me: best to alter your lifestyle if you can (and give plenty of advice on how to do that) but if that doesn't work (or you find it impossible to do) we'll try various prescriptions till we find the best mix. Surely that is what all GPs should be doing.

I've taken statins for ten years with no side effects (woman GP in the practice told me years ago that it was only time until they discovered that only certain genetic types got the side effects and they would find a way around it eventually) but was recently taken off a diuretic that has now been found to have doubtful effects on kidneys - not the GPs fault as the research has only recently been done but he called me in and took me off them and on to something else that he is now adjusting the dosage till it has the best effect.

I know it's hard to change your GP but might be worth the effort.
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 03:25 AM

"New Breed of Statins" great news. I have the genetic form of high cholesterol but also one of the ones that react to statins and yes to start with I suffered the muscle weakness and pain from taking statins and was told it was ageing, arthritis etc. made it more difficult to exercise then of course cholesterol went higher statins upped, a vicious circle. I stopped statins and got back to normal activity and a new Dr. Then confirmed it would have been the statins (as I had told my previous Dr.) So if you hear more about these new ones can you keep us up to date on here? It could be a life saver.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 08:27 AM

It may be a sweeping generalisation but pretending all other GPs are great and the NHS is wonderfully enlightened is not exactly looking at the situation realistically either. I hear people from other GP surgeries having the same problems we do and post on forums where we dieters and type 2 diabetics all have the same experiences of our GPs being useless when we need help.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:54 AM

"There isn't a 'party line' when it comes to prescribing.. "

Oh yes there is.... The NHS (here in Scotland anyway) seems very keen on targets and mass medication.

When my GP says that "WE (who is 'WE') like to see your cholesterol under 5", I ask, "But isn't there an increase in 'all cause' mortality' if you go below 5?"

She says " The policy is that WE like to see it less than 5".

I say "Doc., you should go into poltics".
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 10:29 AM

I took different statins for a number of years...until i had great difficulty walking upstairs....my arms and legs were so weak and sore....nurse took blood for testing...gp said there was nothing wrong.....i stopped the statins....myself over 2 years ago....and feel a lot better...but i think some of the damage they cause never goes away.....so i'll stick to my low fat diet....no one will ever persuade me to take statins again
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
A sweeping generalisation there Julie, exercise and lifestyle changes are high priority in medicine today.

And if I felt the way you appear to about your GP I would change my doctor.
I think so too, if you haven't confidence in your GP, change them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-10-2013, 11:18 AM

Has anyone with existing conditions tried that recently ? much easier said than done I am afraid especially in areas like this where we have too few doctors and some people can't even get onto a list at all.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top