Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 02:25 PM

Re: Do you want to be told you're fat?

No I would not comment about someone's weight unless they brought the subject up. Even though a bit of a gimp, I have always tried to be active, walking dogs and gardening, things like that. Until age caught up with me I had been active and reasonably fit, and slim. (Still here in my size 10/12)

I have read the remarks about large people being jollier than small people, I disagree with that as I have found the opposite to be true. The larger women that I have known have usually been on endless diets, supplemented with huge chocolate bars... by the way, although I like a piece of chocolate at Christmas, my downfall is peanuts
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 02:34 PM

Mine is Crisps !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 02:39 PM

No, I don't think I'd like to be called fat so I wouldn't actually tell anyone that they were fat but I would tell a friend something like "You must have over-indulged over Christmas but you'll see get rid of that won't you?"

I've actually said that recently and he took it in the spirit it was meant to be taken.

He also said "So have you!" and he was dead right and I wasn't offended either!

I think though that it'd be different with women somehow and I'd never risk it, ever! stevmk2
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 02:49 PM

Yes .

Oh wait.

Thought it was ...

'Would you tell someone they are fat'
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 03:42 PM

Well, I'm quite happy letting others skinny dip, whilst I chunky dunk

If I noticed someone putting weight on, why the heck would I mention it?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 04:59 PM

Yes once when i went for a chest xray, the NHS object (nurse) mentioned i should lose weight. She was half my age, a good foot shorter and twice as wide. I still have the teeth marks in my tongue.
kittylion
Lancashire, United Kingdom
kittylion is female  kittylion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 09:15 PM

Do I want to be told I'm fat? Well evidently people who feel the need to do so must think that fat people are also stupid. I can see if I am fat for myself.

I also have heard stories about people going on to lost weight after cruel remarks made by someone - but I feel that these people lost the weight because they were at a point in their life where they were ready and able to do so. I have heard other stories where people were so depressed after hearing some mean comment that they consoled themselves with cake or the like. It's like telling smokers that it's bad for their health! No s*** Sherlock!

Unpleasant personal remarks reflect worse upon the maker than the target.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Yes .

Oh wait.

Thought it was ...

'Would you tell someone they are fat'
Don't have a scooby what you mean
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

13-01-2015, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by kittylion ->
Do I want to be told I'm fat? Well evidently people who feel the need to do so must think that fat people are also stupid. I can see if I am fat for myself.

I also have heard stories about people going on to lost weight after cruel remarks made by someone - but I feel that these people lost the weight because they were at a point in their life where they were ready and able to do so. I have heard other stories where people were so depressed after hearing some mean comment that they consoled themselves with cake or the like. It's like telling smokers that it's bad for their health! No s*** Sherlock!

Unpleasant personal remarks reflect worse upon the maker than the target.
Great post KL.

The thing is, are you actually " fat", or are you "you"? You, is who and what you look like.

Is "fat" the opposite to "skinny"? Is skinny good? Are you a better person is you're skinny? Of course not. It's just ridiculous.

You die if you're skinny, you die if you're fat.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2015, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I think it's ok to discuss weight with a close friend or family member if you are concerned for their health.
We know that it can have health repercussions and staying within a healthy weight range is a good idea, for all kinds of reasons.
Sometimes talking around the subject can lead to that person saying they would like to lose a bit and you can offer to help them.

There are people who call others unpleasant names and there are people who discuss a person's weight because they are worried about the effect it may be having on their health as I said above.
The two are different things and I have discussed weight and health in relation to weight with family members and they have with me also and it's fine.
The OP asked whether you could tell someone they are fat, you can do it by saying you are concerned that they are gaining too much weight.

If nobody is able to broach the subject it's no wonder that so many people don't think that being very overweight is an issue and ignoring it is not helping anyone.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top