Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2015, 05:42 PM

Re: Diabetic foot problems

Chemists have very good foot care products . Buy a good one , Scholl is a good make , cream feet regularly . I'm guessing the clinic you went to was nhs,? As I mentioned earlier surgerys won't do feet , and seems the person their wasn't too happy to do you.

Please contact your local age uk , ask if they do foot care and toe nail cutting. I worked for age uk and with another colleague between us we set up this service in Dorset , now they have over 500 clients on a regular basis . A great service at a great price .

Failing this , go to a private chiropodist , yes it may cost £28 but ask him/her to really do your feet well , hard skin, and toe nails . Foot care health is important .

Hope your age uk does have foot care/toe nail cutting clinics though . Cost is around £13 ish
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 04:13 AM

Just an update, yesterday i cracked and went to make an appointment at my GP, explained the problem which was deteriorating and was told no appointment for several days.

However the receptionist was not happy and went away to check, although i said i could wait until an appointment was available as i did not want to put anyone out.

I was told if i was willing to wait a while a doctor would see me, and eventually a very young GP called me in.

On revealing the offending appendage he tested to see if i had good blood flow and it seemed i had, but it seems the damage was considered to be an ulcer, so ive got to go see a Podiatrist to have it abbraided and need some antibiotics.

Cant say im looking forward to someone taking chunks out of my foot, and im being pressured by the GP to have more follow ups, not being the best patient i will see about this.

Overall i was pleasantly surprised by the practice, i did feel i mattered and was not viewed as a plauge. The last time i visited and asked for an appointment, the head receptionist was reluctant to give me one and actually tutted in front of me. I was having a heart attack at the time.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 07:29 AM

Hi nom , glad you've got appointment for your feet . Having a foot ulcer is very painful. The podiatrist will help with this , also the anti biotic. Do keep up the appointments you will be more comfortable in the end. Don't forget the foot cream on a regular basis to keep the skin soft on your feet.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 08:33 AM

Nom, Susan is absolutely right. A one-off appt. is neither here nor there, but if you keep up with follow up treatments you will get on top of it and feel feel so much better. Much better idea than having it become a worse problem later through neglecting it now. And while you're there, you can ask for advice on which are the most appropriate foot creams for you too.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 08:51 AM

Thanks Susan and Mups,im holding off on the creams until i talk to the podiatrist, as i need the tissue removed and my sore paw bandaged. I will mention the suggestions here to her, and ask for advice.

Im now officially known as Hopalong Nom, thanks to an ex buddy on a social site i lurk on, but being a young un im puzzled. "Mr Dylan Mr Dylan"
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Thanks Susan and Mups,im holding off on the creams until i talk to the podiatrist, as i need the tissue removed and my sore paw bandaged. I will mention the suggestions here to her, and ask for advice.

Im now officially known as Hopalong Nom, thanks to an ex buddy on a social site i lurk on, but being a young un im puzzled. "Mr Dylan Mr Dylan"

That was 'Chester' - the wonderful Dennis Weaver .......
Hi Chester !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

01-05-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
[/B]
That was 'Chester' - the wonderful Dennis Weaver .......
Hi Chester !
Was it Rawhide Patsy ? , cant remember the series.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Was it Rawhide Patsy ? , cant remember the series.
It was Gunsmoke with James Arness as Mr. Dylon
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

01-05-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
It was Gunsmoke with James Arness as Mr. Dylon
Cheers
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2015, 09:17 AM

I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes in 1998, and so far I do not have any deterioration in my feet, eyes, or anything else.

I had regular checkups by a chiropodist. She said that as we get older the skin on our feet starts to dry out, and lose its flexibility. She recommended that anyone over 50 should treat their feet with moisturising cream, diabetic or not.

This is a good site for diabetic advice - www.diabetessupport.co.uk There is a forum, which they call 'Message Boards'.
Plus, of course www.diabetes.org.uk

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top