Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 08:50 PM

Re: Hearing gone

Very sorry to hear that news Steve, I hope it's only a temporary setback and it clears up soon.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 09:00 PM

Have always enjoyed reading your posts Steve, both on here and MNC. Hope you can sort it out, best of luck mate...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2015, 11:35 PM

Steve, could it be anything to do with the noise of the mower? You mentioned you had been grass cutting nearly all day, and it made me wonder if you wore ear protection? I'm just so surprised it could go that quick, especially as it is your 'good ear.'
Or maybe if its an infection, the drops will clear it up in a few days - I do hope so. I presume the GP thinks its an infection, hence the anti-biotic drops. Try not to give up hope yet. x
Chris99
Glasgow
Chris99 is female  Chris99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2015, 02:33 PM

Hope too that the drops help. Certainly worth doing. Complete the course. My hubby finds that the tubes of both his hearing aids especially (strangely enough) the new tubes he got this year get sweat droplets. He thought he had gone completely deaf the other day..also when mowing. He is aware that this happens but this time they were filled with water (sweat) & he was so relieved when he got into the house and examined them with his glasses on. Hope that you have only a temporary issue. Thinking of you. We understand what it's like to be deaf.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2015, 04:23 PM

Sorry to hear of your ear loss Steve.
Terrible not to be able to hear. Lets hope and fingers
crossed that its just the infection in it that has caused
the sudden loss. Cant be good having all the gunge in
it.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2015, 06:02 PM

Yes, I hope it sorts itself out Steve. My partner wears two hearing aids. Without them he'd hear nothing - with them he hears most things, but can't function anywhere with music/too many conversations in the background. He just gives up and opts out of the "moment", which is sad for him. We sometimes take our senses for granted. Until we lose them
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2015, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris99 ->
Hope too that the drops help. Certainly worth doing. Complete the course. My hubby finds that the tubes of both his hearing aids especially (strangely enough) the new tubes he got this year get sweat droplets. He thought he had gone completely deaf the other day..also when mowing. He is aware that this happens but this time they were filled with water (sweat) & he was so relieved when he got into the house and examined them with his glasses on. Hope that you have only a temporary issue. Thinking of you. We understand what it's like to be deaf.
Tell him to ask for Stay-Dry Tubing Chris - it's what I have in mine for the same reason - they do work too.

I am slightly relieved to report that a tiny bit of hearing has returned to my left ear so it is looking like an infection now because I had worries about it being the anti-depressants I was taking.

Yesterday afternoon it was much better but this morning I was back to just a muffled noise - not much use.

I've had infections before but never like this before - it's always been like underwater before, never complete loss so that's a worry.

I met someone with a Cochlear Implant and had a long chat and I've decided to go for the interview locally to see how that goes; my local Audiology people tell me that with me it will just be a formality but it's quite an involved process before you get accepted as a candidate.

It's been OK at work as everyone knows but I've been surprised by how well I've coped using mostly lip-reading, and it's been that all week with an occasional hand-writen note to clarify.

I've got a lip-reading practise internet site to go on and I'm practising every evening.

Context is everything I've found! Get that wrong at the start and you are lost!

One carer came up and began to speak before I got the chance to lip-read and I got the wrong idea completely so I asked her to start again - slowly and I got it all OK.

I was a bit worried about stopping the anti-depressants but it's been three days now and my mind's full of things to learn and I'm coping.

Got a letter today from ATOS - they've got my PIP Application......... stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2015, 06:49 PM

Pleased to hear some hearing is back - keep positive ........
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2015, 06:58 PM

Glad to hear that some hearing is coming back... Its true that not everyone is suitable for an implant..
Its not just the physical aspects there is normally a physcological interview as well and they take all things into consideration..

At least if you have th interview you will know exactly whats involved and what you could expect to gain from it..

Good luck
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2015, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

I am slightly relieved to report that a tiny bit of hearing has returned to my left ear so it is looking like an infection now because I had worries about it being the anti-depressants I was taking.

Yesterday afternoon it was much better but this morning I was back to just a muffled noise - not much use.

I've had infections before but never like this before - it's always been like underwater before, never complete loss so that's a worry.
Muddle ear infections can cause hearing loss steve, and let's hope that the drops are clearing it.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top