Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 04:00 PM

Re: Obesity to be a big problem soon.

Obesity to be a big problem soon.

It's a big problem already.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 04:05 PM

Right, run along out to play you lot, and don't come in til I call you for yer tea
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Right, run along out to play you lot, and don't come in til I call you for yer tea
Yes mommy

Is it tea time yet? Hahaha.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 07:03 PM

As Pats states, obesity is already a big problem. I believe there is a wide range of causes that lead to people becoming . . . fat which, unless addressed, will see the problem escalate terribly in coming years.

It's patently obvious to me that "ordinary" people whose diets wouldn't normally result in them getting overly fat, are suffering because of the things that are being put into food stuffs. The problem is 2-fold. On the one hand there is the problem of the things being added, the sugars, sweeteners, chemicals, additives specifically designed to make you feel hungry when your body actually isn't and so on. On the other hand there is the whole issue surrounding how labelling laws are governed and how companies are routinely permitted to "do harm" to the populous by obfuscating the facts and using media campaigns to mis-inform.

Morally, we would not allow any company to put say cannabis or alcohol into children's foodstuffs, yet the powers that be quite happily allow the great sugar conglomerates to pile sugar into all manner of kids stuff from yoghurts (that ought to be healthy) to snacks and treats.

The adage of "you are what you eat" and glib statements like "it's your choice whether to put these foods in your mouth" are, imo, extremely mute. In days of old, yes, it might have had some merit, eat a lot of cream cakes and you will get fat. Today however those statements just don't wash simply because the human race has been nothing less than assaulted by conglomerates who have piled sugar into everything they can. Morally it should not be allowed, but our gov'ts and powers that be are far from moral.

People are effectively being drugged by sugar and by foodstuffs that are engineered or deliberately added to make humans feel hungry and / or to make them feel artificially happy/gratified after eating them. These things lead to people eating too much.

There will always be people who are genuinely gluttons but the bigger problem is not those people. It is the systematic assault by conglomerates on the human race. The production of "bad products" like fizzy drinks and the media advertising and all the ethos that goes with it to make people think that drinking such products is actually normal and not a bad thing.

Free choice is certainly worth having, but products should not have so much sugar in them that on a general basis your daily intake is way way more than it ought to be. Gov't should pass laws that products must not have more than x% of sugars or sweeteners in them. Hence with free choice if we wanted to eat that much sugar, we should be forced to eat lots and lots of the product to do that, rather than being able to have one yoghurt or fizzy drink that provides a ton of it !

The world is in a bad place at the moment in terms of food ingredients, additives and labelling laws. It needs a complete and utter clean out and a moral leadership in place to enforce moral and humane standards. Unfortunately, the world is currently in the hands of crooks who won't give up that power willingly.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 07:18 PM

To the above: exactly and well stated. I get so frustrated with picking up a food to read the label, assuming it's free from this and that, only to discover all the additives that are in it. It's like, are you kidding me? WHY is that even IN there???

And I'm talking foods you wouldn't expect to see all that crud on the labels. Some foods are obvious. You know when you pick it up that it contains a bunch of excess junk. I mean I'm surprised to see that excess junk in foods that it never used to be in. Foods it shouldn't be in.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 07:39 PM

Yep you're quite right.

In a supermarket last year I picked up a commercial loaf and looked at the label and hand on heart there were over 20 ingredients listed !
Linda0818
USA

08-05-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yep you're quite right.

In a supermarket last year I picked up a commercial loaf and looked at the label and hand on heart there were over 20 ingredients listed !
~sigh~

Makes me want to buy a farm and raise all of my own food. Chickens for meat and eggs, a huge garden for produce and a big pond for fish, LOL
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 09:08 PM

Too much advertising of `junk food` too little exercise-it`s a very simple equation.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Well I have 'middle-aged spread' and I'm keeping it,..at My age I just can't be 'arsed' dieting,but I try to eat healthily 80% of the time,and do some exercise most days...That's good enough for Me..hey,I don't want to live until I'm 90,another 10 good years will do Me fine...after that..just shoot Me ;~)

Ah, you shouldn't say that May, as you might start feeling a little panicky in 9 and a half years time, if you are still feeling OK.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
~sigh~

Makes me want to buy a farm and raise all of my own food. Chickens for meat and eggs, a huge garden for produce and a big pond for fish, LOL

Ah, but then you might not want to kill them all Linda.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top