Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2015, 08:05 AM

Re: Obesity to be a big problem soon.

Originally Posted by Myra ->
Beg to differ Robert. Metabolism. Simple as that.
I do, however, think exercise makes a difference.
You're right about the exercise Myra, energy from food goes one of two ways, it either gets used in the muscles or it is stored for use later. Simple equation: energy in, deduct running costs = energy out... You can eat what you like, provided you use it. It's a case of 'Use it, or add it to your shape...

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I was one of three girls and we all had exactly the same two were stick thin and still are and I just kept on growing.

When I addressed the problem a couple of years ago I found I have to eat less than 1000 calories a day to lose anything and if I can get down to 700 I can lose 1-2lb a week. The minimum they suggest a woman should eat to lose weight is 1200 calories a day on that I actually put on weight fairly steadily.
So do I eat too much or is what I can eat so little I am destined to always be hungry ?
Julie, I bet your sisters were more active than you, same applies to you as to Myra.

Also, as we get older, and we do less our energy requirements are not as great as when we were younger, but we eat the same, or more, eating has become a hobby these days.
You wouldn't put 80 litres of petrol in your tank, if it could only hold 60 litres?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2015, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I think it would be a little hard to explain my route to work, so I'm not going to try. Let's just say I have to use the freeway to get to work and not only are bikes and pedestrians forbidden, but I'm NOT gonna go out there and get my butt hit by a car.

That's all I'm going to say on it, seriously. Some people are ABLE to walk or ride bikes to work. For me it would be impossible.

And anyway, with this day and age and the forms of transportation that we need to get from point A to point B, it's a pointless argument.

First jobs 40-60 years ago (depending on ones age) is a LOT different than it is today.
Exactly my point about the motor car, we have built a world where it would be difficult, for some, not to have a motor car. Same with mobile phones and computers, people are frowned upon who do not embrace modern technology. Most things are done 'Online' now, and it's very difficult to do some things without a computer. I'm not saying it's not better, but you can see where it's going. You don't even have to walk to the post box any more. 'Time' is your enemy these days....It wasn't always like this..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Have I missed something??-700 calories a day is a starvation diet. Your body will go into a protection mode.

Please do think again.
Rubbish I lost 5 stones on the eating plan and I know it works for me. I don't recommend anyone else do it but the starvation idea has been pretty much proved to be completely false for a fat person trying to lose weight our metabolisms are different to normal weight or starving people.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You're right about the exercise Myra, energy from food goes one of two ways, it either gets used in the muscles or it is stored for use later. Simple equation: energy in, deduct running costs = energy out... You can eat what you like, provided you use it. It's a case of 'Use it, or add it to your shape...

Julie, I bet your sisters were more active than you, same applies to you as to Myra.

Also, as we get older, and we do less our energy requirements are not as great as when we were younger, but we eat the same, or more, eating has become a hobby these days.
You wouldn't put 80 litres of petrol in your tank, if it could only hold 60 litres?
More active ? not really I was bigger from about 6 months and at that age it's not about how much exercise you do surely ? I have had dogs all my adult walking 6 miles or more a day, parented 4 children who kept me busy and been an office cleaner fulltime for most of my adult life. I can promise as a cleaner I move a fair bit.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

09-05-2015, 09:49 AM

You do sound like you've kept active all your life Julie, It must have made quite a bit of difference to your size. Just a thought; Muscle weighs heavier than fat.

In a documentary I watched some time ago [I'll try and find a link] a couple of scientists wanted to find the reason why some people were fat, and some were thin.
Metabolism was their first port of call. But they found in a group of around a thousand assorted shaped people, some fat people had a fast metabolism, and some had a slow metabolism. Same results with the skinny people. It was concluded that metabolism played no part in the deposition of fat. Later studies have shown that chemical differences in the brain act on hunger and the suppression of appetite.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2015, 10:12 AM

You do sound like you've kept active all your life Julie, It must have made quite a bit of difference to your size. Just a thought; Muscle weighs heavier than fat.

In a documentary I watched some time ago [I'll try and find a link] a couple of scientists wanted to find the reason why some people were fat, and some were thin.
Metabolism was their first port of call. But they found in a group of around a thousand assorted shaped people, some fat people had a fast metabolism, and some had a slow metabolism. Same results with the skinny people. It was concluded that metabolism played no part in the deposition of fat. Later studies have shown that chemical differences in the brain act on hunger and the suppression of appetite.
Perhaps as you say it's about chemical make up they have never really found out what causes people to have a sweet tooth or prefer savoury foods. So much we don't know but blaming fat people as some do doesn't help anyone.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No need, I go every day on foot and just buy what I need for the next day. Perhaps its the attitude that is the problem? The walk each day might do you good.

I have a car but use it rarely - prefer public transport or walking. When I do use my car it is usually for a trip exceeding 500km
I really don't know how many more times I'm going to have to explain why I can't/won't walk to work or the grocery store. I mean... is this bothering you guys or something?

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
some places have now become too dangerous to walk in?
Yes. Where I live, the roads are very busy and those big semi trucks (18-wheelers) go flying down through there at warp speed. Just on the main corner alone, there are 11 white crosses to mark all of the people who have lost theirs lives on that corner. There are at least two accidents reported there each week.

If you go the other way, you're also risking it. Just this past winter a hit & run happened on that road - a man walking was hit by a car and left for dead, the driver didn't even stop. The speed limit on that road is 50mph. People usually drive 55-60. An isolated incident? Nope. It happens more often than you think. It's like an epidemic around here, people being hit by cars.

I'm going to get out there and walk that highway or take the other road that's just as dangerous as the highway? I think not.

I walk. In my neighborhood. But I don't leave my neighborhood, not on foot.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2015, 02:13 PM

Exactly my point about the motor car, we have built a world where it would be difficult, for some, not to have a motor car. Same with mobile phones and computers, people are frowned upon who do not embrace modern technology. Most things are done 'Online' now, and it's very difficult to do some things without a computer. I'm not saying it's not better, but you can see where it's going. You don't even have to walk to the post box any more. 'Time' is your enemy these days....It wasn't always like this..
I know and you're absolutely right. I get that others may think it's possibly just my stubborn hard head keeping me from walking to the store, but it's not. It's distance and safety. We don't live in quaint little villages with cobblestone streets and stores that line each sidewalk (I wish I did), or on an island that has its own community. It's a different world here. The crime is rising as well.

Believe me, if I could move to a nice little town where everything was safely accessible, I would.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top