Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 10:04 AM

Re: 'Christmas' removed...

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
We were shopping in T***os earlier today, and I noticed that the word' Christmas' wasn't mentioned on several of their own brand products...e.g. What was obviously a Christmas cake,
(circular and complete with icing) was described as " Rich fruit cake"...
I can't speak for Tescos I don't shop there but if you have a look around other supermarkets you will find rich fruit cakes on sale all the year round some iced some not (people buy them for birthdays etc) and Christmas cakes which are just seasonally decorated rich fruit cakes labelled Christmas Cake around Christmas .

Personal I don't care what they call their cakes because I would never buy mass produced rubbish
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 10:08 AM

I've got the original Delia hardback cookbook from years back, I'm sure you know the one, there's a photo of her holding an egg on the cover...
I make her Rich Fruit Cake every year, no mention of Christmas.

I've never noticed that before!
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 10:13 AM

Do you seriously think Tescos would get rid of cash crop Crimbo . They have a Christmas Cake and a Rich fruit cake. One iced with a bit of holly, the other plain so you can see the difference..

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 10:13 AM

They have been selling the same cake all year, it comes out for all the celebratory weekends, so I would guess it's just expense of relabelling that stops them putting christmas on it, although I am sure last year it was marketed as a christmas cake.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I've got the original Delia hardback cookbook from years back, I'm sure you know the one, there's a photo of her holding an egg on the cover...
I make her Rich Fruit Cake every year, no mention of Christmas.
I've never noticed that before!
I no longer make a Christmas cake, when I did I made the Good Housekeeping or Delia Rich Fruit cake which is turned into a Christmas cake with icing.
I used the same recipe for my son's three tiered wedding cake which was iced but not called a Christmas cake either
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I cant say ive noticed but now youve mentioned it I shall be looking out for various xmas things now..I shall still always celebrate christmas how I want to regardless.
Ditto Aysa
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 01:29 PM

I wish Christmas COULD be removed ...FOREVER...It's just a pain in the proverbial...ok ok...stop growlin' at Me ;~)
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
I wish Christmas COULD be removed ...FOREVER...It's just a pain in the proverbial...ok ok...stop growlin' at Me ;~)

I am with you. I would enjoy the old couple of days that we looked forward to..but not this overkill
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Originally Posted by solo ->
I am with you. I would enjoy the old couple of days that we looked forward to..but not this overkill
I'm with you both, too.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 04:15 PM

You dont have to buy into the whole madness, i push the boat out a bit for Xmas day and Boxing day then its back to normal, no one is forcing me to go beyond that.

And i agree that the iced cake is available all year. Just heard Asda is not taking part in the Black Friday nonsense, and my local supermarket has not bothered yet with the mall decorations and the only tree visible is a bonsai version and quite minimalist.

Perhaps the light is beginning to dawn.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top