Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 12:46 PM

100 years of Dinners

Portions seemed to have got larger over the years

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 01:59 PM

Re: 100 years of Dinners

Wasteful sods - most of those plates weren't empty when they were taken away!!!

And no, I don't believe meals are any larger than they were 100 years ago - just more fussy with salad muck (ergghh yuk!!!)
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 02:00 PM

Steak and chips for me please or cottage pie and sweetcorn mmm
I DO think meal portion sizes have increased over the years to humungus sickening sizes....no wonder people are getting fatter and fatter they just keep shovelling it in....GROSS!!!!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 03:22 PM

When we eat out, more often than not I leave some food. I made a vow about 18 months ago that I would stop eating as soon as I feel full and since then I have lost about 12 pounds in weight.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 04:00 PM

I often do the same as you Alan...I find more often than not that portion sizes are way too large for me and seeing a huge plate of food in front of me just puts me right off...I eat slower and fill up faster so always leave something now.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 04:39 PM

The problems with judging portion sizes - right or wrong - are complicated in many ways because when I was about 5 years old the quality of what we were given to eat wasn't that great so eating more made up for it so a good appetite was supposedly eating a plateful of food.

I remember being told I had to clear my plate and I am sure many of us remember that and "waste not, want not" but it doesn't apply these days.

The quality of much of the food we eat now is very good, and I do not mean junk food, I mean proper, cooked meals with vegetables and protein, usually animal protein or equivalents so we do actually get a good balanced diet from less.

We also do not do the same level of physical exertion or exercise we used to do at work so keeping to bigger portions will now guarantee putting on pounds - we don't even walk on a level escalator these days, let alone a stairway escalator!

People need to educate their stomachs to accept less and that needs to come from parents and guardians mainly so that children realise the "fuel" needs to be burned off or it creates layers of fat in later life.

I read a while back that the Western world accounts for enough food to feed the entire planet yet we waste 30% of our food daily.

Saving the planet is no longer a priority these days it seems, any more than reducing pollution but we should really be teaching people that over-eating could kill them but they're not listening now so will they ever listen?

Frequently we see what amounts to discrimination against older people because we appear to have more than many feel we should have but it's because most of us tried to plan for our old age and reap the benefits when our incomes are actually lower.

My wife and I live on £5000 per annum less than the average income but we do it by curbing spending on things we don't really need, shopping around food-wise and making our own meals from scratch.

Even members of our own family obviously feel that we have money stashed away that we can draw on in a crisis but we don't!
We have some savings but the interest is so poor that we will not bother trying to save for much longer.

What we will do though is ensure that we eat as well as we can afford and do not over-eat! stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top