Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 02:55 PM

Re: Advice please on Lamb Steaks

Just to add that nobody can give `exact` timings as ovens differ and so do steaks in size. Ask Santa for a thermal probe.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 02:58 PM

Hi Meg, me and my grill don't get along when grilling steaks so leave well alone and usually marinade in olive oil and whatever else goes with the steaks and put into my trusty frying pan which always works. I would really like to try oven-baking the lamb steaks though as it will free up my stove top for everything else. People I know say they come out beautifully when oven-baked for a few minutes each side but as I have found out, that is for rare and the recipes I have looked at vary so much with timings for medium. Definitely don't wish them to be well done so wondered if anyone here has oven cooked lamb steaks medium? rather clutching at straws I know but fingers crossed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 03:01 PM

It's impossible to give a time, as has been said ovens vary, as do steaks. One way is to press them, I can't remember the technique but it's to do with how a hand feels when you press it is the same as how the steak will at various stages of cooking. Perhaps someone else can remember it ?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 03:01 PM

Blimey OG, Santa would take one look at a request for a thermal probe from me and laugh his head off !! never used a probe for meat in my life ! Bad experiences from when first married soon gave me the knowledge for how meat should be cooked correctly. however, these blooming lamb steaks have me puzzled. I guess I will go for 9 minutes each side and pray !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Hi Meg, me and my grill don't get along when grilling steaks so leave well alone and usually marinade in olive oil and whatever else goes with the steaks and put into my trusty frying pan which always works. I would really like to try oven-baking the lamb steaks though as it will free up my stove top for everything else. People I know say they come out beautifully when oven-baked for a few minutes each side but as I have found out, that is for rare and the recipes I have looked at vary so much with timings for medium. Definitely don't wish them to be well done so wondered if anyone here has oven cooked lamb steaks medium? rather clutching at straws I know but fingers crossed.
SG in that case I would seal them on both sides in a hot pan first as OG suggested
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...835#post774835

then put them in a hot oven 180 for about 5-10mins though it depends on the thickness of the lamb.
To see if they are cooked to taste take a sharp knife and pierce the stake, the juice should be clearish for well done pink for medium .
Rest in a warm place before serving.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 05:14 PM

Like the last paragraph there, sounds a good idea to me with a glass of wine!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Blimey OG, Santa would take one look at a request for a thermal probe from me and laugh his head off !! never used a probe for meat in my life ! Bad experiences from when first married soon gave me the knowledge for how meat should be cooked correctly. however, these blooming lamb steaks have me puzzled. I guess I will go for 9 minutes each side and pray !

Might I suggest something subtly different. Make marinade of equal parts of Soy sauce, worcester sauce, & Balsamic vinegar. Place lamb steaks in marinade. Add 1 dessert spoon of Apricot Jam to each steak, 1 tsp of dried Rosemary, 2 crushed cloves of Garlic. Leave steaks to marinade for a while (2 Hours???). When ready to cook, remove from marinade, place in oven dish and 'dry' roast for about 15 - 20 mins. Remove from oven, strain off excess fat. Pour Marinade back over steaks and return to oven - cook thoroughly for approx 20 mins. When cooked, remove from oven, strain off marinade into saucepan, add 'lamb' oxo plus any thickening agent you have (corn flour???). Serve with vegetables of your choice.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 06:32 PM

Forget about oven-baking the bloody things and never put a steak of any kind anywhere near microwave unless you intend to sole your shoes with it.

Old Git got it right !
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Lamb steaks are leg meat and can be quite tough.
If you are having them I would bash with a rolling pin to tenderise then marinate in olive oil, garlic and rosemary before grilling under a pre heated grill.
Exactly how I'd cook them
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

21-12-2015, 10:46 PM

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I think the recipes sound yum but will likely stick to my olive oil and mint rub as OH wants his steak with lamb gravy. Think I will go with Meg and put in for about 9 mins each side in the oven after searing for 2 minutes each side in the pan first.
Mind you, after a couple of glasses of Chardonay I may just end up wearing them as earrings

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top