Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 12:33 PM

4 Meals for 10 people - suggestions?

Hi there,
So my family are descending on me this weekend and there will be 10 people to feed for 2 x lunches and 2 x dinners. I'm going to do a huge roast shoulder of pork and cracking for Sunday but need inspiration for the other meals. I'm bored with all the old favourites (Lasagne, Boeuf Bourg etc) and want to do something new. Preferably that can be prepped in advance so I don't spend the whole weekend in the kitchen.
Suggestions welcome
Thanks
Mike
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 01:20 PM

Re: 4 Meals for 10 people - suggestions?

Chicken, chorizo and chick pea casserole is pretty straightforward and probably benefits from being made in advance and reheated. Serve with crusty bread and it's about as simple as you can get. It's easy to tweak it, add extra veg, replace chicken with diced pork etc. It's also delicious.

Poulet Basquaise is a good one-pot dish, easy with rice. Lots of recipes if you ask Uncle Google

A tagine, perhaps lamb, perhaps vegetable only, is another good cook-ahead one-pot meal and goes well with cous-cous which takes but minutes. Tart it up to 'jewelled cous-cous' by adding pomegranite bits, pistachio and golden and dark sultanas

Bon appetit
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 01:45 PM

That seems a lot of work Mike. I am not one for making big meals
for lots of people but the odd occasion when I have had to I
would do a selection of curries and rice. Meat and vegetarian and
a selection of other foods associated with a nice curry. I also
used to make a buffet. This helps if different foods and made with
hot and cold meat, chicken legs, wedges, cheeses, samosa's, breads , cheese biscuits. The joy of a buffet is you can buy most of the food and
just warm it up in the oven and put some big salads with them and
people love it.

Do you have any idea what your friends like to eat?
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 01:50 PM

Yep they like the sound of the casserole above (thanks dinahsmum) and we're going to do a couple of buffets so I think we're all sorted without too much hassle.
thanks
Mike
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 05:24 PM

Fajitas in wraps are always a good fall back Mike if you need to rustle a meal up quickly
Don't forget the salsa, sour cream and guacamole!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 05:59 PM

Although I love my meat how about a contrast with pulses and a spicy peanut salad?
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 06:03 PM

Sheperds pie is always good for large numbers .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2016, 10:10 PM

I think most people enjoy a buffet, because anything can be added to the menu and it wouldn't be out of place.

Have fun.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by effingpot ->
Hi there,
So my family are descending on me this weekend and there will be 10 people to feed for 2 x lunches and 2 x dinners. I'm going to do a huge roast shoulder of pork and cracking for Sunday but need inspiration for the other meals. I'm bored with all the old favourites (Lasagne, Boeuf Bourg etc) and want to do something new. Preferably that can be prepped in advance so I don't spend the whole weekend in the kitchen.
Suggestions welcome
Thanks
Mike
Pizza Hut
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2016, 07:13 AM

Cheese and potato pie! My mum used to make an Italian version with pastry which is delicious hot or cold, but for an easier version just make it with plenty of garlic and onion, strong cheese and tomatoes on top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top