Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 08:33 PM

Re: Cramp

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
Quinine was thought to help with cramp(drinking tonic water) but now it seems it's not proven to help.That's no help-sorry!
It must be an individual thing because it definitely works for me, I drink a little every day and can honestly say I haven't had cramp for years. I used to get it really bad in my thighs.

So it's worth a try I suppose.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It must be an individual thing because it definitely works for me, I drink a little every day and can honestly say I haven't had cramp for years. I used to get it really bad in my thighs.

So it's worth a try I suppose.
Yes my husband does, he used to suffer from leg cramps at night, the doctor suggested tonic water, he has a glass in the evening and no more night cramps.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Anyone else suffer from cramp? Of late im shooting out of bed during the night like a scalded cat, damn painful.
They do come quick, Nom. I hop up as fast as possible and get off the rug to a cold wood or tile floor. The cold hard surface seems to reduce the cramp quickly. Like others, I have no idea what brings them on but I may have them 2 or 3 nights in a week and then not again for a couple of months?

They're not common for me but as you say, when they hit - -they hit hard.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 04:57 AM

Thanks all, yes Mups ive read them and i see sitting and dehydration can cause it. The Tonic water is something i will try though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2016, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Thanks all, yes Mups ive read them and i see sitting and dehydration can cause it. The Tonic water is something i will try though.

Yes, seems like it worth a try, hope it works. Let us know how you get on.
BTW, do you think the foot baths are helping?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 07:01 PM

I've had it suggested to me (can't remember who or when) that an excess of salt in the diet may be a contributory cause. Either reduce the salt content in your diet Nom matey or drink more water or fruit juice to dilute the salt in your blood stream.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2016, 11:35 PM

So . . . has the Tonic Water helped yet, or not?
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 08:45 AM

I get them bad too.

I've also heard it could be because of a lack of potassium.
So eat more 'nanas Nom!

Epsom salts is meant to be good too - put it on a wet cloth and press it on the cramped muscle. It has worked some times.

What's worked the most for me though is a heating pad.
I start it on low, and increase the heat as needed.
It's my go-to when the big-bad ones come on!
When that happens, my heating pad better be within my reach!

Hope yours calm down, cos they don't make for a good night sleep!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 08:50 AM

Ive tried the tonic water, still getting them but not as strong, may well give the epson salts a go LMB. Im probably deficient in a few things, i saw the result of that in 2009 when i first went into hospital,, got a real shock at how i looked and i was various drips for 24 hours continuous for over a week.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 09:06 AM

Dang the body for not staying young eh?!

I usually get cramps the worst when I've not been too mobile, cos some days my left side just won't cooperate with me!
On those days, I try to at least massage my legs. Maybe that will help you too?
In the meantime, if you find something that works great for you, do share!

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top