Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 09:39 AM

Re: Cramp

My mum has a glass of tonic water every night before bed
Her cramps have stopped

Hope you're still getting improved results Nom
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Ive tried the tonic water, still getting them but not as strong, may well give the epson salts a go LMB. Im probably deficient in a few things, i saw the result of that in 2009 when i first went into hospital,, got a real shock at how i looked and i was various drips for 24 hours continuous for over a week.
Did I mention that you are not supposed to have gin with it?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Anyone else suffer from cramp? Of late im shooting out of bed during the night like a scalded cat, damn painful.
Yes.
I get it in bed - my calf muscles tense up and it's very painful but I get it in my feet quite a lot when I'm swimming.

People are always saying "circulation" when you mention you've got cramp but at our age it's to be expected apparently - or so I read recently - Pats will know.

I remember many years ago getting excruciating cramp in the Middle East and that turned out to be salt deficiency, which is why I do not prescribe to this near-hysteria regarding salt - we do need some to keep our electrolytes in balance.

All I do is avoid ordinary table salt and use Rock or Sea Salt but if I think I need to I will use table salt if I'm out.

I am also fussy over salt in foods too - sometimes the salt is over-powering in some dishes and ready meals are full of it and sugar and MSG - yuck! stevmk2
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:27 AM

I don't know if it's the placebo effect but tonic water seems to help me. The placebo affect is pretty much accepted - that if you believe something will help, it does.

I also think lack of exercise doesn't help. i had bad cramps but since walking almost every day and the tonic water, they have just about gone EXCEPT when I happen to spend a couple of days sitting too much.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I don't know if it's the placebo effect but tonic water seems to help me. The placebo affect is pretty much accepted - that if you believe something will help, it does.

I also think lack of exercise doesn't help. i had bad cramps but since walking almost every day and the tonic water, they have just about gone EXCEPT when I happen to spend a couple of days sitting too much.
Tonic water contains quinine which is what you get in 'cramp tablets'.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Tonic water contains quinine which is what you get in 'cramp tablets'.
....and Tonic Water makes my cramp worse for some reason - I found out when I tried foregoing things from my normal diet.

I thought "Can't be the Tonic Water can it?" but I stopped drinking it.

4 days later - cramp a lot less so I thought coincidence and went back to it - cramp got worse again!!

It's bizarre but I seem to be allergic to it now! stevmk2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

30-05-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
....and Tonic Water makes my cramp worse for some reason - I found out when I tried foregoing things from my normal diet.

I thought "Can't be the Tonic Water can it?" but I stopped drinking it.

4 days later - cramp a lot less so I thought coincidence and went back to it - cramp got worse again!!

It's bizarre but I seem to be allergic to it now! stevmk2
It is strange how we all react differently to certain things.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 04:14 PM

Quinine for me all the way one tab in the morning and one at night.I used to get severe cramps would leave me limping for days, but these days all is good.
The nights I used to jump out of bed and head for the bathroom and the cold tile floor and if that never worked turn the cold water on in the bath and just put my foot in it..
I can laugh about it now but then it was so painful.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

30-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Quinine for me all the way one tab in the morning and one at night.I used to get severe cramps would leave me limping for days, but these days all is good.
The nights I used to jump out of bed and head for the bathroom and the cold tile floor and if that never worked turn the cold water on in the bath and just put my foot in it..
I can laugh about it now but then it was so painful.
I also know all about limping around the bathroom floor trying to walk it off. What's worse is when your wife is in stitches because she thinks it looks funny.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 06:41 PM

Here is some information about CRAMP

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/legcram...Treatment.aspx

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top